I Forge Iron

Coke as a fuel

Just to note I don't plan to do casting in the immediate future, just poking about to see what is possible.

I was wondering whether coke or coal is suitable for melting metals up to aluminium, I have seen charcoal powered furnaces but as far as I can see no one has coal or coke furnaces going around and since coal is cheaper than various gas fuels (which I don't have any idea on making burners for) and charcoal (I don't own any woodland to make my own) I was wondering whether it is just unfashionable or whether there is a problem with it.

Coke was a traditional fuel for casting---using coke for casting was even part of Abraham Darby's learning process for smelting with coke and not charcoal...

Coal is a lot messier and annoys neighbors with the smoke. Also some metals react badly with the sulfur in coal; hopefully mainly driven off in your coke.

Aluminum is a relatively low temperature melt, a wood camp fire will bring it to to high a heat. It's a dirty way to try melting for a pour but sometimes a guy who is bored with camping finds lots of aluminum laying around and one things to another.

I know that isn't a comment about coke vs coal, vs charcoal, etc. it is however a comment about what's necessary for aluminum and lower temp melts.

Frosty The Lucky.

I melt steel in coke....just got a ton from the "L-Brand" guy in Georgia for this purpose.

Melted three four pound charges the other day for a class.

Coke can easily melt aluminum, bronze and with time...steel...given enough air.

Ric

Many furnaces melt themselves as a result of normal operations.  The cast iron cupalos got rebuilt every week at the foundry where I used to work.  That is why we constantly have to do at least a partial regular rebuild.  Read more and you will understand.   Welcome to the forum

Yes, you may slag the refractory depending on what you're using, size of your furnace, and any number of factors. More importantly, you can toast your crucible if the preheat's not done right. (which you can also do with charcoal....whoops!) But do it right......and yeah, it'll work fine. Air flow is key for good temp control.

Charcoal is a little slower, little more kind for aluminum. Get somebody experienced to play while learning. That's always best.