I Forge Iron

Dinner triangle ring

By air cooling it, you allowed it to normalize, like you would a high carbon steel. Mild steel needs to be quenched to make it ring, I have had good luck with big triangles just heating the corners to non-magnetic, one at a time, then quenching. No tempering afterwards like mid to high carbon steels.

If you are sure that it is mild (1018), then Superquench is the way to go. If it is rebar, A36, or mystery metal, then a plain water quench is safer - no quench cracks.

I just heated it up yellow heat and quenched, no luck with the ring. I did try bang on some 1/2" and it does sing pretty good compared to what I used. So I guess like you guys said the thicker the better! The only reason I used smaller stock is because I was making this for my mom for a up coming camping trip and thought she would like something lighter. Thanks for every bodies input!

Stock size and triangle size matters. Try 3/8 inch round and 10 inches on a side or 30 inches total. Keep the bends sharp. Good size for calling the family that is close by. Larger triangles and larger stock is good for calling folks from a greater distance.