I Forge Iron

Using Scrap Iron

I'm looking to get into blacksmithing and I have a lot of scrap iron around. I was looking for advice from some forging veterans about whether it was possible to use that scrap as metal to use for projects. Any advice you could give me would be taken with open arms.

Heck yes you can use scrap iron !!!   I'm definitely a metal scrounger. I pick up broken leaf springs and pieces of coil spring off the sides of the highway. I've scavenged coil springs and broken/rusted/wore out files for flint strikers.  I've been given used up saw blades and mower blades I've used for knife projects. I made an eating spoon from a bolt I found along the road ...... I have lots of different pieces I've picked up I use for different things.  About anything metal you'll find it can be used for something. Look at all the different things that have been made from railroad spikes. Use what you have and what is available to you.  

Ohio Rusty ><>

The Ohio Frontier Forge

Read up on alloy steel, spark testing and low carbon, medium carbon and high carbon steels. They all can be used but you wouldn't want to make most tools from low carbon steel, nor would you want to make hooks and ornaments from high carbon or especially high alloy steel. 

A spark testing chart is your best bet when working with completely unknown steels. 

If you happen to know what the metal was designed as, you might be able to identify it from a metals handbook, but maybe not.

For example my most modern copy of Metals Handbook claims pneumatic tool bits are made from a certain air hardening alloy ideally suited for hotwork (blacksmith's tools) yet a totally credible source has us convinced that most such tools are simply a good medium carbon steel or a very close alloy variation thereof. 

when u say scrap iron do you really mean "IRON".   Or do you mean scrap modern day steel?   I think we assume the latter.  

Tho in the end I think the answer is the same.   YES.  

But.   Are we talking Plate, Rod, squares, etc...   A "lot of scrap" is not real clear.   Once again tho the answer is probably YES but knowing what you have is a bit more helpful.  Especially since you have not started yet.  If you have a bunch of plate steel that is different than having a bunch of 1/2" or 1/4" rod for example....

As for it being something lying about and all rusty...   I don't see a problem.  The forging process will burn away and or hammer/scrape away most of the rust/scale.   And give you good practice making something useful from something that looks like scrap/trash to most folks. 

Got a pic? 

As a relative newbie I can also add:  Tell every living soul that you're getting into blacksmithing, scrap metal will slowly but surely begin to show up in your life.  I have had friends cleaning out garages and sheds and bringing me metal, people at work showing up with metal in their trunks ("thought you might could use this..."), people picking up small pieces for nickels and dimes at flea markets and garage sales for me.  Haven't found any on the side of the road like Ohio Rusty yet, though - maybe Alabama roads are better kept than Ohio?!  LOL!  KIDDING!  Point is, like anvils coming out of the woodwork once you've finally found your first one (though I haven't yet experienced that phenomena), scrap starts getting deposited on your doorstep as soon as word gets out. 

I personally LOVE scrap and plan on making a habit of recycling pieces - I love transforming something into a useful piece while still retaining it's original character, enough so that people can recognize what it USED to be.  Makes for interesting discussion pieces and I like the idea of re-purposing.  

So scrap away, and tell everyone you know you want scrap!

when u say scrap iron do you really mean "IRON".   Or do you mean scrap modern day steel?   I think we assume the latter.  

Tho in the end I think the answer is the same.   YES.  

But.   Are we talking Plate, Rod, squares, etc...   A "lot of scrap" is not real clear.   Once again tho the answer is probably YES but knowing what you have is a bit more helpful.  Especially since you have not started yet.  If you have a bunch of plate steel that is different than having a bunch of 1/2" or 1/4" rod for example....

As for it being something lying about and all rusty...   I don't see a problem.  The forging process will burn away and or hammer/scrape away most of the rust/scale.   And give you good practice making something useful from something that looks like scrap/trash to most folks. 

Got a pic? 

Think of my backyard like a car graveyard. I can take any piece from any of the cars to use for forging.