I Forge Iron

Sofa Table Base Help Needed

01tundra

Make a former sized so that all made against it are the proper size.

For me welding stuff to the leg and then having to "unweld" it for later use and clean up is a lot harder and time consuming than forming it to the outside and then tightening it up a bit---might need to dig a trench forge in the yard to get a big heat on it to adjust them but that's rather trivial...to me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're over thinking the job, get them close and tweaking them to a proof form.Simple curves will close up or open up pretty easily once they're close to what you want cold and a little final tweaking cold will work harden them a bit making firmer table legs so the table will be more solid.

A good camp fire will make all the heat you need and you can use bending forks and a being wrench or a pair of bending wrenches and match them up to a soapstone pattern on a bench. You can cut an inside form from a plank and use it wet. It'll steam and smoke, just protect yourself from the steam and it'll work a treat.

Frosty The Lucky.

Right you are Thomas, 3/4" will want a heat shield over a wooden form unless maybe you can work REALLY fast or have lots of forms.

I wasn't talking about forming them cold Jonathan, just tweaking them from close to right on the money. That thick it's easier to open a curve than close it, cold. I'm sure I don't need to mention it but better safe than sorry, yes, it's hammer time. <wink>

Frosty The Lucky.

Greetings 01,

Am I missing something ... You have a gas forge that would do the job in 2 heats...  Forget the CAD and just do it ..  Weld the original to a angle iron so that you can hold it in the vise and have at it .  Just a few tack welds that you can easily cut and grind..  Final tweeking can be done with your coal forge and the anvil horn..   Good luck

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Considering I don't use scrolling jigs, consider this:

You are new to this great craft

This is your second very cool design hand forged project

Its for your wife

Time is prolly not a major issue

Cost is minimal

Seems a perfect setup to start learning how to make scrolls by hammer in hand without a jig.

Just thinking

Considering I don't use scrolling jigs, consider this:

You are new to this great craft

This is your second very cool design hand forged project

Its for your wife

Time is prolly not a major issue

Cost is minimal

Seems a perfect setup to start learning how to make scrolls by hammer in hand without a jig.

Just thinking

• 4 months later...

We finally found time to make the second table leg.

Being able to make two smaller matching items is tough enough, making two large, heavy items match was a fun challenge.

We were finally able to get the second leg to match up very close to the first.

At the rate I'm going, her sofa table should be completed in 2017 sometime :D!

tableleg2_zpsac28204f.jpg

tableleg_zps015c65d9.jpg