I Forge Iron

karambit

j.w.s.

This is a prototype karambit I made to give a client an idea of what the final pieces he's ordering will be like. It felt so good in the hand I figured I'd give it a quick finish. This is 4130 which I normally use for stage combat pieces but it still makes a decent knife if heat treated correctly. Handle is bucote. The actual order is for twin knives made of damascus. Just got the approval to go ahead to tomorrow I'll make the billet for those.

-J
post-7730-0-47406300-1405384934_thumb.jppost-7730-0-40865200-1405384813_thumb.jp

Hi jws!

I consider myself as a karambit fan, and I like it. Nice proportions, nice colors, great file work on the back. 

I'd like to talk about only one detail: bigger curve in the cutting edge. I think it's very common to have 90 degree between the axis of the tip section and the "axis" of the handle. 

Anyhow, I like it big time.

Bests

Gergely

30 points carbon puts it on the line between medium carbon and low carbon steel and does not meet my definition of "decent".  If going to all the work to make a nice looking blade why not use a bit higher carbon steel?

During my demonstrations during Renaissance faires I use a 4130 sword to pound a 150lb anvil across it's stump and show the edge and it's lack of damage to the audience afterwards. Granted, that's a stage edge, as we make our pieces primarily for professions involved in the stunt industry. Often times our pieces get used in live theater where the audience is only scant feet away, so failure is not an option. We've been in the business for 24+ years and have tried many steels for our purposes, from 1075 to 5160 to 4140 and 4130 ended up being the clear winner in the end for how we need it to perform. That being said, I have made pieces using it for other purposes and the edges hold up surprisingly well, not like O1 or 1095 or even 5160, but well enough that I put one through the ABS skills test and it passed fine enough. Blade geometry and heat treatment are huge factors. I can get it hard enough to shatter with the tap of a hammer, but I can draw it back enough in tempering to be able to go beyond a 90 bend and still have the elasticity to return to straight. I didn't say it was great, but it has surprised me with it's capabilities and it's definitely durable. This was just a piece that took a few hours to make - I had to show my client a mockup for weight and feel - the two he's ordering are 1084/15n20, I'm not sure how many layers I'll be taking the billet to, he just wants them to "pop". 4130 just happened to be the piece of "scrap" I had laying by the forge that morning and for all I know this little guy will probably end up in my wifes hay loft for cutting open bales - it's a win win for me, make money and keep the wife happy at the same time.. :)

-J

FROSTY... NO!  The large ring is for your little finger to fit in... a bottle opener tab would make it uncomfortable!!!  Now a bottle opener with a karambit style handle might be just the ticket!  Make friends instead of fighting!  Nix the blade!

Gotcha, bottle openers not blades! Make party not knife fight. Now we're on the same page. (code word for six pack) <grin>

Back in my Boyscouts days I had a knife that had a bottle opener as part of the guard. It wasn't a Boyscout knife but one from that era, say early-mid 60's.

I think that'd be a lot more practical than a pinky finger knife.

Frosty The Lucky.

I share Gergely's thoughts on the blade shape and I also consider myself a Karambit enthusiast. They began as a farmers tool in the Philippines and then when the potential was discovered, an entire fighting style was developed around the specific shape of blade. The common fighting grip on a Karambit (though a normal grip is also used at times) is reversed so you would put your pointer finger through the hole and use a reversed grip on the blade. It works exceptionally both offensively as well as defensively. Also, I highly suggest watching video of trained Karambit instructors doing what they do. Very entertaining and slightly cringe worthy :D . All things aside, that is a very attractive blade.

-Crazy Ivan

Well the knife is used as a farmers tool hanging from the little finger so that the hands are free to do other work and yet instantly handy when needed!  My understanding is that they evolved as weapons FIRST... MUCH larger than the farmer's versions and designed to imitate the tiger's claw shape!  Later adapted as EDC's for field work in much smaller sizes.  I did not know that they are often used with the reversed grip... but that makes sense!  I have made a few and I LIKE them!  I understand that some air marshals are armed with them as a reserve weapon that tends to be easier to retain than a regular knife!