I Forge Iron

Brazeal Style Hammer - Tools For making

FlyingXS

It is very pleasantly squat, and I would recommend a suitably short handle at least to start with. A 4# will tear you up if you don't have good technique and built the muscle to handle it. You may get to the point where you can use a 16" handle on that hammer, and swing it all day long, but there is a REAL good chance you will end up hurting yourself... Ask me how I know;-) In my twenties my favorite hammer was an 8# hand sledge, in my 30s I was working too hard and too long, and trashed the tendons in my elbows with a 4# rounding hammer with a 16" handle, didn't do ANY recreational forging for 6months to a year. Thankfully I don't still need to wear the tennis elbow braces on both arms...  

Remember worldly wisdom is learning from someone else's mistakes without having to make them your self...

Work smarter, not harder, and harder on your body is right out! ;-)

• 1 year later...
On 10/18/2014 at 3:25 AM, FlyingXS said:

Well the journey has come to a climax…..First Hammer!!!!  It's  a 4lbs monster.

I don't know about a work of art but, a lot of hardwork…..So I'll appreciate it when I use it much more than any store bought item.  Still needs to be hardened and the eye tempered.

FlyingXS, almost all of the photos you posted of both the tooling and the finished product got lost in the forum software changeover. Any chance you could repost them?

Many thanks!