I Forge Iron

rail track anvil, hardy hole alt.

Im no expert by any means, but this is whatI have. I got that whole set up at a scrap yard for $40. That plate is what the RR use to connect the track, so the track anvil fits perfect in the groove. It has 5 square holes and I used 4 inch lag bolts in two holes to lock down the anvil. So there are 3 holes left for hardy holes. Hope this helps.

post-54460-0-73812200-1403134108_thumb.j

Sure, in order from difficult to easy. ;)

(1) cut a hole in the track section with a torch or drill, then square it up. By hand, with files and chisels. Hard work is good for you, don'tcha know?

(2) Make a post anvil out of heavy wall tube, do the steps in (1) on a piece of plate before welding it to the tube as a cap.

(3) Weld a section of square tube to the end of a spike, drive that in the stump next to your anvil-like object. Heck, if the stand is metal, weld it directly to the stand.

(4) Weld a section of square tube to the end of the rail. 

(5) Get a leg vise, mount it nearby. Trust me, you will LIKE this option.

You can use the junction between the web the rail or the flange as swages. You do NOT need a hardy hole on the anvil, you can put one anywhere else and it'll work just as well. Just tie it down solidly.

Frosty The Lucky.

check your PM when you can, if we are able to link up I can bring my post vise as it is purpose built for travel.  100lb London pattern (5/8th inch hardie hole) as well, but that's a pain to load in and out unless its for a full day, the vice can get set up in a few minutes without assistance.