I Forge Iron

Need help hooking up electric blower to ducks foot

stovestoker

I was wondering if it was OK to hook my squirrel cage blower directly to the ducks foot as I have it mocked up in the pic. I wasn't sure if maybe there would be to much heat to hook the blower up this way. Or should I put in about a foot of duct work in between them?

post-48222-0-69201600-1403054964_thumb.j

post-48222-0-76988300-1403055034_thumb.j

post-48222-0-73512000-1403055066_thumb.j

post-48222-0-49349100-1403055095_thumb.j

if this was mine i would give it some more distance as you never know when you will have some real hot pieces of coal or coke down in there and no reason to burn up your fan

as well you do not have a very deep ash catch there so keeping clinkers and things from ending up in the fan blades will be a plus so you might consider an air gate that you can push closed and keep the fan clean and clinker free while cleaning out the fire pot

Good Morning,

That would be a good idea if you have unlimited supply of blowers. The poor motor is too close to the heat source. I would use a piece of clothes dryer pipe with an adjuster flap inbetween. Those blowers work best without a reostat, adjust the amount of air with a gate valve or flap.

just my $.02

Neil

Get a piece of expandable metal close dryer vent pipe. Attach one end to the forge. Pull and expand the pipe so it will reach the blower (on the ground, a table, a support, etc.). DO NOT attach the end of the pipe to the blower but aim the blower toward or away from the end of the pipe for more or less air. 

If you want to firmly attach the blower to the pipe, you will need some way to vent or restrict the excess air. Think air gate of some nature.

Greetings Stovestoker,

Won't work...  You will need about 2 foot of tube and an air gate..  I have a similar set up with a bigger blower and an on and off switch with a rheostat to boot..  You will find out that a continuous air supply limits your fire control..  That is a sizable fire pot and will consume a bunch of coal..  I hope this helps.

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

I have a rheostat set up from a cheap dimmer switch. It works OK. I think it's to fragile so I am going to locate a good one. suggestions welcome. As far as an air gate goes. I need an air gate if the fan is constantly blowing high, does this apply with a rheostat?

The motor on your blower has it's own air vents for cooling so you can control the blower output by making a gate to close the blower intake. Just a simple round piece of sheet metal with a little tab you can grab and a hinge. One of the bolts holding the blower case together works perfectly for the gate hinge.

Interrupting the air flow won't overload the motor by reducing how much air it has to push.

Frosty The Lucky.