I Forge Iron

First creation in DIY propane coffee can forge

PapaC

Hi everyone.  I'm new to the forum and to smithing in general and recently built a small propane coffee can forge.

I made this for my dad for Father's Day and just finished it today. I filed the bevel after heating to an orange glow then put it back it.

It's from rebar which actually hardened quite well.  The edge was quenched in oil and after heating the entire piece, was quenched in water. After which I used a belt sander to tune the edge and clear brighten up the rest.

The final sharpening was on a 4 level diamond stone and I finished it with a dremel polisher loaded with Renaissance Wax to protect.

My dad has horses and always cutting hay bales so this is a quickie two finger knife to cut the twine. (While testing I cut a good slice in my finger through 5 layers of cotton)  :o  I'm going to tell him I poured my blood and sweat into making it. haha

I never knew it could be so much fun.  

Thanks for looking.

post-54800-0-71261500-1402705628_thumb.j

Welcome aboard PapaC, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you may be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

That's a pretty decent looking blade, your Dad's going like it. There's nothing like a tool someone in your immediate family made for you.

Using rebar for something you need to harden is a blind gamble unless you test it first. Better to use something with known predictable properties, automotive spring steel is far more consistent though it can vary too.

Frosty The Lucky.