I Forge Iron

Hi,

I am a hobby-blacksmith, base in Hexham, Northumberland. Just to let you know that I had my large 250lb anvil and mounting block, together with a smaller 80lb anvil stolen from my back yard last night., both in good condition. I would be grateful if anyone hears of anything offered in the Newcastle area similar to these items. Much appreciated.

Regards

wiseIron

Here in the USA it's common for drug addicts to steel metal for selling to the scrapyards so checking around them might be helpful.

I strongly urge smiths to mark their anvils in a hidden place---underside of the base or horn for example to be able to prove it's theirs in cases like this.

Hi Wiseiron,

Were there any identifying marks on the anvils or blocks? Keep a close eye on the anvils section of the internet website that rhymes with tray. I'll look out for them as well.Use the search that refines those closest to your home, as Thomas suggests try a phone call to the local scrap yards as steel is fetching a good price again. I doubt if they will be very helpful but you never know. David.

check out car boot sales, steam rallies, autojumbles in your area, im going to one at newark showground next sunday.

I have heard that it is quite common for certain mobile members of the community to shift things a county or two to sell them so they are less likely to meet up with the owner of the items

• 2 weeks later...

I live on a back road in the middle of nowhere. I still feel the need to hide my anvil.kinda sucks lugging 170 pound anvil around when I need to work but it's a small price to pay. Hope all works out that is a expensive piece of equipment to have stolen.