I Forge Iron

Need advice on freeing up the screw

stovestoker

I got this vice along with a lighter one. This vice is bigger and older and im in love with it. I would like to get it back into service but the screw is frozen. Need advice on where to start. I don't want to destroy it trying to free it up. I tried pb blaster but so far no luck

post-48222-0-15559300-1401412728_thumb.j

post-48222-0-84364100-1401412773_thumb.j

Mix acetone and automatic transmission fluid in a 50-50ratio, tilt the vise and fill the screw box. Then tap the handle with a mallet everyday for about a week and typically they will free up. Depending on how open the area is that you apply the stuff to you may need to cover it to prevent evaporation, though the ATF slows the rate. To date I have freed four vises this way two of which were in worse shape than yours.

I recently freed one with heat (#3 tip on the Dillon ).  Soaked it with Kroil for couple days, then heated the nut.  Repeated 3-4 times I think.  This was done with the repair vise clamped in my shop leg vise.  Was a stubborn one.  Eventually powdered corrosion came out when the screw moved.  Is now a very usable vise.  Will take the recipes posted here under advisement, thanks.  I have used Marvel Mystery Oil with success.

First thanks for all the advice it really helped. I took a little bit from all the suggestions and finally got that sucker free. I will post my pics and a brief description on what I did in case someone else trips over this info.

First off there are many techniques to accomplish the same result. The bottom line is it takes plenty of elbow grease and patience.

I don't have a picture of my first steps, sorry for that. But I took the whole vise and placed it upside down in a bucket and ran electrolysis on it for 24 hours. After it came out of the bath it budged just a bit( good sign) Look up electrolysis rust removal on YouTube.

I then clamped it horizontal in my other vise and filled the screw box with PB blaster for another 24.

This morning I put a persuader bar on it and got the screw to come out.

My steps to clean up the screw are as follows with pics. You can apply to anything that needs rust removed.

1.I took all the parts and soaked them in a bucket with dawn and hot water. this was my simple degreaser.

2. once I got them fairly clean I prepped them for another electrolysis bath.

3. I only have an automatic battery charger. But you can trick it into staying on if you hook it up in phase with a battery. I barrowed one from my ATV. An old bad battery would be better.

4. I got everything rolling and left it to cook. I used regular baking soda. the vids I saw said to use washing soda, but I could not find any locally. I doubled the recommended amount to compensate.

5. A trip to Home depot, and Rangers baseball game later I took them out of the bath. I rinsed in water and hit them with a wire brush.

6. I put the whole thing back together with a liberal coating of chain bar oil to keep it from rusting up gain.

The thing works pretty good. There are a few issues that I will address in another post, but all in all I am stoked that I got the thing working again. It will need a spring and a mounting plate but maybe I can find one or fabricate one.

post-48222-0-26219700-1401659932_thumb.j

post-48222-0-87082300-1401659976_thumb.j

post-48222-0-86865300-1401660040_thumb.j

post-48222-0-17330300-1401660143_thumb.j

post-48222-0-00218700-1401660220_thumb.j

post-48222-0-68877500-1401660302_thumb.j

post-48222-0-50530700-1401660359_thumb.j

post-48222-0-83933200-1401660408_thumb.j

I have been a mechanic and trainer for many years. The hardest instruction in training others has been the idea "it didn't get that way yesterday". Penetrating oil and slow will eventually get it apart. Going hard at it usually breaks something expensive. When applying heat do it at the thinest area for fast expansion and use penetrant.

Glad to see your progress. The vise looks good!

Nice work you did on the vice. 

4.. I used regular baking soda. the vids I saw said to use washing soda, but I could not find any locally. I doubled the recommended amount to compensate.

This is good information that you used baking soda and that the electrolysis worked to clean the steel. Here in this side of the puddle, you can only get washing soda at the Lab supplier, not at the grocery!  Usually I make washing soda from baking soda by loading a pan with the later and heating it on the gas. There are videos on Youtube.