I Forge Iron

Help!

IRon_FOrgerI22

Hello, I am very new to blacksmithing I don't own and equipment nor do I have a place to do it. I was wondering if u guys and girls would like to help me with my start to blacksmithing. There is one thing that you guys might think is strange that i am only 13 years old:o. So if you could please help me that would be nice.

Go to the opening page www.iforgeiron.com and click on Lessons in Metalworking, then click on Blacksmithing. This should get you started.

Then read the IForgeIron forum by going to the bottom of the forum page and click on archive. Select a section such as blacksmithing and click on that. There should be some 250 threads shown per page and 8-9 or more pages to view in just that one section. Other sections have different material so you should read them all.

While your at it, go to the front page and click on all the buttons including the Blueprints. Blueprints are over 500+ how-to tutorials on making things.

Post any specific questions you may have to the forum.

Another good source of information is the IForgeIron LIVE chat room. Usually it is active at night USA.

Welcome to the site.

Glenn's right. Lots of information to be had in the blueprints and the forums. We have people here who have been smithing their entire lives, and we even have one 10 year old who's well on his way. A mixture of everyone in between. Read up, and ask questions (after you've done a quick search for the info as it's usually faster than waiting for a reply). We're more than happy to share the few things we've learned. Good luck and above all be SAFE. many of the things we do can hurt you pretty badly. So if there's any doubt, don't do it until you ask someone who has.

One small bit of advice. Practicing with clay will give you an excellent idea of how hot steel moves and is much safer, costs practically nothing. And is easy to re-set if you make a mistake and want to start over.

you should find a guy near you and go and see if he will help you out. when i got interested I didnt know a blacksmith. there are 2 within 1 mile of my home. look for boyscout meeting they may know. find a horse farm they may know. start asking around the neighborhood. I met my guy at a coffee shop in the morning.

FP

IRon_FOrgerI22
First off, Welcome to I FORGE IRON.
I was about 12 years old when I got interested in blacksmithing.
Information about blacksmithing was scarce and hard to find at that time.
I started out on a ranch where I was allowed to be an observer and a shop jockey while in the blacksmith shop area.
I cleaned up and sometime handed or held something for the blacksmith.
For the first 21 years my shop at home was out side with just tarps covering my tools, vice, forge, and anvil.
As I look back at it at this time, I realized how valuable that observation time was for me. It allowed me to see the basic concepts of blacksmithing being used over and over again in different applications, and a greater view of how the blacksmith shop was set-up and functioned.
I am 67 years old now. But the same overview of the blacksmith shop and practices used at that time are still my blueprints of how I visualize the blacksmithing process to this day.
I feel the blacksmiths that have made suggestions to you to this point are all very good.
Glenn’s input: I would suggest that you invest the time and energy into studying what Glenn has suggested, and visit the chat room and the Blueprint Presentation held on Tuesday nights.
Candidquality’s suggestion about using clay to start with is an excellent idea. I still use it. You can learn a lot from using it.
Candidquality also gave you a good warning about safety. Please take note of what he said.
Fat Pete suggested that you find somebody that would help you, with several suggestions such as the boy Scouts.
Going along with Fat Pete suggests, I would suggest that you ask you mother, father, or guardian to support you in your interests and assist you in finding a blacksmith or an organization that you could visit.
It is up to you to study, observe and take the actions necessary when they present themselves to you.
And it all takes time and effort.
Be safe!
Old Rusty Ted

I don't teach people unless they are at least 10---so you are three years late!

Anvils do not have to look like london pattern anvils. Most anvils in the world do not look like them. Japanese swordsmith anvils look like a rectangular chunk of steel, I've seen indonesian smiths using a large chunk of bulldozer steel for an anvil. So I read you question as "Since i do not own an anvil can i just pound it on an anvil?" The answer is Yes.

BTW see Marco/Krieger Armory - Rapiers and Accessories for an example of a 120# anvil that was made for US$25.

Also go to your local public library and check out books on blacksmithing. If they do not have any ask the desk about Inter Library Loan. I really like "The Complete Modern Blacksmith", Alexander Weygers, as it deals with pretty much starting with nothing and building all your tools and equipment yourself.

If you live in Central New Mexico let me know and I can set you up with my loaner kit till you can find the stuff you need.

IRon_FOrgerI22
Thomas Powers brings up a very critical point: Where do you live?
Men and woman like Thomas Powers and my self would be glad to help someone like yourself get started. The problem is not knowing your location. If we knew, we may be able to help you our selves or refer you to a blacksmith or an orginization.
Be Safe!
Old Rusty Ted

Note: as it's generally a bad idea to put your street address out on the internet something like "central NM, or Eastern TN, or The Shetland Islands UK, is an appropriate way to do it.

Then if someone is close they can pipe up and let you make the contact in a safe manner for *both* of you.

I don't teach people unless they are at least 10---so you are three years late!

Anvils do not have to look like london pattern anvils. Most anvils in the world do not look like them. Japanese swordsmith anvils look like a rectangular chunk of steel, I've seen indonesian smiths using a large chunk of bulldozer steel for an anvil. So I read you question as "Since i do not own an anvil can i just pound it on an anvil?" The answer is Yes.

BTW see Marco/Krieger Armory - Rapiers and Accessories for an example of a 120# anvil that was made for US$25.

Also go to your local public library and check out books on blacksmithing. If they do not have any ask the desk about Inter Library Loan. I really like "The Complete Modern Blacksmith", Alexander Weygers, as it deals with pretty much starting with nothing and building all your tools and equipment yourself.

If you live in Central New Mexico let me know and I can set you up with my loaner kit till you can find the stuff you need.

Thats good advice ThomasPowers no unfortuanly no i do not live in New Mexico

IRon_FOrgerI22
Thomas Powers brings up a very critical point: Where do you live?
Men and woman like Thomas Powers and my self would be glad to help someone like yourself get started. The problem is not knowing your location. If we knew, we may be able to help you our selves or refer you to a blacksmith or an orginization.
Be Safe!
Old Rusty Ted

I did forget to tell you my occupation. I live in New Jersey, I have just found out recently from my mom that there is a horse ranch near by mabe i should check that out.

One last question eh? ;) Yes you can use old metal to practice with. Look up junkyard scrap rules for an idea of what some of the metals are that you might find. And no, folding the metal you find at home depot is a waste of time. It's going to be mild steel and very well blended to begin with.

BTW Folding it 1,000,000 times is a bit much. fold 1 time and get 2 layers, fold 2 times and you get 4 layers, fold 3 times and you get 8 layers. continue this up to 21 and you get 1,048,576 layers. Divide that by a 1/8 inch thick knife blade and you get .000000119" thick layers. Not sure how thick an iron molecule is, but it's probably getting close to that. basically you wouldn't see any layers which is the normal reason for making anything layered.

CQ remove the thickness of the slag lost from each heat and you will end up with maybe a piece of sheet metal on the anvil, and a half a ton of slag on the ground around the anvil.

They only call it junk because someone else discarded it. Where do you think the steel yard disposes of all the drops and loose ends from their business. Yep - they send it to the junk yard. Usually anything under 10 feet is cut in half and anything 5 feet or less is pitched. That is a LOT of steel and it is all NEW and unused, just too short for the BIG company to deal with. If you had access to their scrap bin, you could make a good living by just not having to buy the materials you need to work with.

I spent 6 years in Holmdel NJ, (mile 114-117 on the GSP). Used to be able to find some smithing tools at Englishtown Auction Fleamarket.

If you are interested in blademaking check around old car repair places as coil and leaf springs are generally an alloy that makes decent blades. car/truck axles can be made into hammers and tooling too. Do NOT get plated or galvanized material, even free it's too expensive in health risks!

Actually as long as you are using a long enough piece of stock to begin with you can forge out a pair of tongs without anything to hold them with. Just remember to cool the end you are holding fairly often. There's a blueprint by Bill Epps that's fairly easy to follow and make a great first set. You could also beat it with a rock using another rock as the anvil(thought do watch out as some rock likes to shoot off small pieces at you: safety glasses) Might be a good idea to but at least one hammer and some stock you could use to make chisels and punches. As they say, "Necessity is the mother of invention". Some will say you must have the basics to start forging and others will say that by figuring out what you can use to meet your needs you get a better understanding of the tools you are working with. Do what makes you comfortable. And again, be safe.

You certainly can make all the tools you need to start. However that path will work better if you have some mechanical apptitude to start with, if you are still building skills you may want to buy some basics. What are the basics you ask? Good question.

You need a hot fire (forge--fire pit and air source), something to beat on (anvil--heat resistant at the temps you work at [something under 2200 F] and able to withstand hammer blows and the heavier the better [generally] before iron work became sufficently advanced big rocks were used), something to beat with (hammer or big stick or rock or ...) and some way to hold the steel without burning yourself (tongs, pliers or using long enough stock [with frequent cooling of the holding end, I can hold something about 18"]). That is enough to start. A second pair of tongs can help with bending, but bending can also be done with hammer and anvil. Hammers of different weights and styles can make some techniques easier, but one good hammer you can swing all day can do everything you need. A vice, swage block and other impliments are nice but not needed to start.

Oh and don't forget safety: eyes and ears; hot flying bits; fire control / suppression; heavy falling things.

ron