I Forge Iron

What's with the 2nd step?

Hey all!
I bought this anvil about 2years ago from a friend in the UK. Loved it ever since.
However, I'm still not sure why the second step is there.
My friend and teacher, who has been a full time, professional Blacksmith for over 40 years, says he's never seen one like this either.
Hopefully someone can shed a bit of light on it.

ThZNl0Z.jpg

This one is definitely English. Made in Sheffield in 1830. Sadly the only part of the name that remains is " & sons".
The step near the horn is almost an inch deep, while the rear step is shallower.
Of all my anvils (I have three currently) this one is definitely my favorite.

Nash and sons?
You don't often see those anvils without a lot of damage. I think I read on here that the larger ones were used in ship years and obviously lead a hard life.
The step over the flat horn is just the style of anvil.
All the best
Andy

Hey Andy.
I've never seen a Nash & sons anvil like this though. Brooks and Cooper made one, but mine definitely says "&sons" on it.
Not that it matters much, I'm just curious.
Thanks for the suggestion!

i have seen an anvil like this one and it was an Isaac Nash and sons,not from Sheffield.Nash worked at stourbridge and most seem to be stamped stourbridge.I have a Isaac Nash and sons stourbridge London pat anvil.Also stourbridge i think is very close to where Brooks later set up there could be a conection????

These are not that uncommon in England, but you don't see them that often here. I made one just like this but bigger a few years back. It was based off of one (739#) that had been imported from England for resale. That particular one was thought to have been a Mousehole and Mousehole certainly did make this style as did Peter Wright and Kirkstall. If you look through  the adds various companies ran (see Anvils in America) you will see that they weren't that uncommon, they just weren't imported into the US. 

The step from face to square horn can be used just like the step in the face of a London pattern anvil.