I Forge Iron

Vice from the old nail making factory in Oslo

the branch

Hello there fellow vicestonians (see what I did there?) I came to stumble over this beauty yesterday. Its my first vice! The person I bought it from said it was a vice his father took with him when his section of the factory closed. This factory was "Christiania spigerfabrikk" A factory with roots to 1880-ish.  This vice is in SUPER condition. Its allmost not even scratched . I think it has never been used to work on. 

Now. Im not just showing off. I do wonder if someone knows a bit about this kind of vice. After browsing a while here and on other parts of the nett I think its a german vice. Any thought? Ether way, I am SIKED! Its a great feeling getting your first vice. =) 

Thanks for watching! 

-Jens

post-14088-0-54690300-1401033934_thumb.j

post-14088-0-92905300-1401033950_thumb.j

post-14088-0-89628800-1401033962_thumb.j

post-14088-0-98648300-1401033973_thumb.j

post-14088-0-30611600-1401033982_thumb.j

I can't say for certain, but the German anvils do have the side plates and the small "anvil-shelf" on the fixed jaw. It is shown on your two left hand photos.

Sayings & Cornpone

Chicharrones chicharrones greasy greasy greasy,

We cn beat 'em, we can beat 'em easy easy easy.

1950's Santa Fe High School cheer. The closest I can get to translating chicharrones is "cracklins" (pork).

Hi!

that's a proper vise!

Only one part is missing! there are two holes (or at least one) where the thread goes in one jaw, to hold a part that moves with the crank when the jaws open.

The vise is in a very good condition, to keep it that way i would try to get the missing part (actual two parts a bowl and a fitting part of a ball)

Hi!

that's a proper vise!

Only one part is missing! there are two holes (or at least one) where the thread goes in one jaw, to hold a part that moves with the crank when the jaws open.

The vise is in a very good condition, to keep it that way i would try to get the missing part (actual two parts a bowl and a fitting part of a ball)

Thank you. I didn´t see that. As I´m not knowledgable about vices I couldn´t see if there was anything wrong with it. You mean the hole in the front?

Not often seen with blacksmith's vises over here as the spring opens the moving jaw as the screw opens. Machinist vises generally have them though.

Is this a common item in European blacksmith vises?

What we do generally see is a dished washer between the front of the vise and the bulb on the screw the handle goes through.

Hi!

i don't know how it's called but it is very common with german vises. ( to be honest i have seen none without)

It is kind of a bearing.

Here are pictures of the parts missing:

post-30320-0-78588000-1401208875_thumb.j

post-30320-0-34372300-1401208877_thumb.j

and how it looks complete.

post-30320-0-44446400-1401209013_thumb.j

and some are even made of brass ( like my new baby's ;) )

post-30320-0-97605600-1401209081_thumb.j

Greetz and have fun with your very nice vise,

Hannes

Ah, that clears up a fair bit. And bugger! :wacko:  I have no idea how I can get any replacementsparts. Guess I´ll have to improvice something for the time beeing. Wonder how this is going to go... 

Anyways Thank you so much for the help! Appreciate it =) 

Only got my coal and gas forge and my hammers. And sadly its hard getting any sort of metalparts that are more advanced than constructionbars around where my forge is. But I´ll have a look around and see what If I can´t figure it out. Shouldn´t be a problem making something that´ll last a summer until I get started on my blacksmithschool. I think they´ll have the equipment and knowledge to help me there. 

I´ll may be posting my custom solution on here when I get to it =)

Else I´ll just have to bug someone of you guys for a spare part ^^

Thanks again! 

I had one with just one piece. I thought i still had it so i just had to take a photo, but that vise might work somewhere else.

Part looks like this:

post-30320-0-13651300-1401374920_thumb.j

it was made of mild steel

that is what happens to the crank:

post-30320-0-55306500-1401374922_thumb.j

You lose a bit of material and get a bulge.

But mine worked for many years to that point.

You could improve that by adding a washer of brass or bronze as a sacrifice.

post-30320-0-34937000-1401374921_thumb.j

and as an improvise before you get in contact with a turning shop that builds the one which works as spherical washers)  you could built something like this.

post-30320-0-52142600-1401374919_thumb.j

also with sacrifice washer. Just make the hole big enough that the thread has got enough space to move.

I had one with just one piece. I thought i still had it so i just had to take a photo, but that vise might work somewhere else.

Part looks like this:

attachicon.gifpart1.jpg

it was made of mild steel

that is what happens to the crank:

attachicon.gifpart2.jpg

You lose a bit of material and get a bulge.

But mine worked for many years to that point.

You could improve that by adding a washer of brass or bronze as a sacrifice.

attachicon.gifpart3.jpg

and as an improvise before you get in contact with a turning shop that builds the one which works as spherical washers)  you could built something like this.

attachicon.gifpart4.jpg

also with sacrifice washer. Just make the hole big enough that the thread has got enough space to move.

THAnks! very helpfull :)