I Forge Iron

200 Gallon BBQ

mike-hr

This is an old fuel tank, 3 ft dia x 4 ft long. The hand wheel on the end runs an interior spool and cable system to raise and lower the cooking surface. A spring loaded pin holds the wheel in place. Thanks to Dick Fedder for working with me on the 'unfolded angle iron' that is used on the hand wheel spokes and sun rays. Tom Laman did the copper repousse piece, and did a fine job. I used thick automotive gasket material to isolate the copper from the steel surround, to minimize bi-metallic corrosion. Forged ball and stick levers on the air chokes. The door handle is 5/8 square, with punched and drifted holes 1/2 inch up to 7/8 inch diameter. The fire grill and cooking surface is made from 3/8 inch round bar, each made in 2 piece frames to fit in the door. I had a great time building this, and the customer is really pleased with it.

Photos by Gina Janelli

Thanks for looking, mike

post-10-0-05574800-1400628115_thumb.jpg  post-10-0-58654900-1400628181_thumb.jpg  post-10-0-82433600-1400628218_thumb.jpg  post-10-0-02255000-1400628254_thumb.jpg

I just finished a plate of ribs from the local favorite rib shack, and thus was in the perfect frame of mind to examine your work -

So many nice touches on the hatch alone:  The rings set into the handle, the offset hinges, the hold-open device....et al.  Well done.

Robert Taylor

Really nice job Mike, I'm surprised you let it go at all. I AM a little disappointed not to see invitations to us for the tests and trials. A proper BBQ trials cruise should include several batches: dry rubbed, butt, rack, brisket, belly, etc. Wet marinated beef and pork chicken, turkey, duck, goose, etc. Of course there's Kansas City style, Texas, Cajun, etc.

I don't see how we can do proper trials in less than a week of intense single minded dedication to the job. We can chip in on the beer of course, where can I pitch a tent?

Seriously, I don't see a thing I'd want different I really like the spokes on the wheel. The locks and latches are well thought out and the lifting winch for the fire rack is De bomb.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...