I Forge Iron

How Necessary is a Vise?

Ridgewayforge

If you didn't have your post vise, you would definitely miss it.  My post vise serves to hold my cut off hardy that used to be a splitting wedge, I use it to twist square stock, to bend metal back straight again, it is my third hand for holding anything hot and I use my post leg vise for all my wood carving of hammer and axe handles.  I would be totally lost without my post leg vise. I have a spare vise put away in case something odd happens to this one. I would be lost without my vise.

Ohio Rusty ><>

The Ohio Frontier Forge

• 3 weeks later...

Can't imagine being without mine, heck I'm now looking for a second, larger vice to compliment my 4".

I use mine almost daily for a lot for general purpose activities like cutting metal, wood, etc. I haven't used my bench vice since I purchased my post vice, the post vice has way more freedom with space and opens up more possibilities when working. 

For forging operations it becomes my helper, it holds hot metal in its hands and never complains or calls in sick for work....

A week ago had a bearing that someone had used to replace the thrust washer with break apart.  Everything that I was working on came to a screeching halt until I had forged a new thrust washer for the vise.  I wouldn't have been able to finish my project without it.

I have a large number, not large enough but, Pictures of OLD Blacksmith shops dating to the 1880's and there is not one without a vise and generally vises.  I have a number of vises in my 4 shops on 2 different farms all with at least 2 vises each.  they are in fact a third hand.  Somebody above said don't sell tools, I agree Will them but don't sell unless it's to me! 

My Will doesn't allow the selling of my tools or guns, they can be placed with someone to use them and care for them but No Sales Allowed.