I Forge Iron

Habits and Mantras

Looking for the pliers and finding the work bench is me all over.  :wacko:  However, I try to clear the area before starting on something new.

Maybe it is very obvious but I try to use the time when the piece is in the fire. I rehearse in my mind what I am to do so I can work fast without stopping for thinking. The rehearsal helps me remeber to get the tools I need for that heat within reach.

Cleaning is what I do when I have the urge to work in the shop but not really the time, so I will go out and re-set a hammer head on a handle or clean and re-arrange---and then when I do have time I can jump on a project without the "where's waldo" moments...

Our old shoeing school instructor, who had served a true farriers' apprenticeship in New Jersey in the 1940's, insisted that we put the hammer on the anvil in a certain manner. Being right handed, the working face or peen to be used would face to the left and the handle would be angled off the face to the right. If we were going to the horn, the face would be facing left near the anvil step. If we were cropping heels, the face would be facing left, and the hammer head just to the right of the hardie. If we were going to the heel, the hammer head would usually be between the hardie hole and the heel end. In reaching for the haft, the hand is kind of palm up, and then the hammer head is quarter turned counter-clockwise.

I've been working that way for 51 years. I don't insist that everyone do this, but it's not a bad habit.

I have taken to bouncing my hammer on the anvil (letting go of the hammer) so it bounces right back into my hands. I have gotten pretty good and it is pretty fun to do. Although, I have hit it hard once and shot the hammer over my head. I still caught it. It makes me feel like James Bond. not around spectators however.