I Forge Iron

Double bit camp hatchet

I was working on a straight peen hammer and got it a little off so I took a little break from it.

I Decided to make a hatchet. I have always liked the double bit axe so I figured Id give it a shot.

A friend gave me a Ford F-250 leaf spring so I decided to use that.

After a few failed attempts I think it turned out pretty well for a first one.

First try was looking good and I accidently droped it in water bucket. It broke like glass. Moved bucket and tried again.

Second I was slitting eye and cooled too much and tore the side of eye.

Third times a charm for everyone but me....Drifted hole too far back so it wouldnt be center so I put it on shelf for a single bit hatchet later.

Fourth turned out well but took forever to do cause I was scared to damage it. Many heats later and light hammering I had it.

Time to sand polish and heat treat. Everything turned out par for me so I started on a handle. I found I am no handle maker but managed one out.

Its a little crooked but is comfortable to use both ways and feels sturdy.

I tried it out on  2.5 - 3 inch piece of oak branch and cut through ok sideways and split the rest into kindling. Works for me.

Being as light as it is I had to chop in a wide angle and swing hard but thats what I was going for. Something light to throw in camp pack.

relocated to a more sensible section

post-52250-0-71989000-1398780888_thumb.j

post-52250-0-83056400-1398780907_thumb.j

post-52250-0-51511100-1398780924_thumb.j

post-52250-0-85505100-1398780938_thumb.j

strangely motivating :) looks good, I like that its super compact too.  you might be able to gain some more mass without upping the total size by starting with more material around the eye and forging in some langets or big cheeks like a brazeal style rounding hammer.

Thanks...

I am going to use a bigger piece of stock for the next one to try to get more weight. Ill see what I can do with it.

After using a stanley blade as a small draw knife and slicing myself all up I think Im going to make a good one and try for better handles. I have a few planer blades that need a new shape.

Beautiful hatchet, it's just a little small. Heck of a critique eh? Beautiful execution all round but I don't know how practical a pack tool it'd be. How much does it weigh?

I'm really looking forward to your next "a little larger I hope" double bitted pack hatchet. Of course that's my opinion and I haven't tried it out, I could very well love it.

Man am I waffling or what?

Frosty The Lucky.

I definatly plan to make a larger one. It dosent weigh much...maybe 10 oz. or so.  

Ill weigh it when i find my scales...kinda got lost when I moved.

I started on a little bearded viking style axe/hatchet today. Not sure if I should start a thread on it or not. Kind of simple. I dont wanna bore anyone with my off the wall hammered projects.

Chinobi recomended langets (thanks)....I wasnt sure what that was so I googled....I have got to build something like that. I love the keltic/viking style and the langets just finish the whole project. more to come soon.

Heh, I only really learned what they were watching James Austin demonstrate forging a Viking style axe last weekend. It was a really interesting and extremely well thought out and methodical process! I'll probably pick up a copy of the DVD when it eventually is finished. Maybe by that time I'll have the chops to warrant attempting it :p

• 2 weeks later...