I Forge Iron

Left or right handed?

89 members have voted

1. 1. Are you left, or right handed?

• Left handed only
    • Right handed only
    • Primary Left handed and Ambidextrous
    • Primary Right handed and Ambidextrous

I had a student once who was having a terrible time with the hammer.  After watching him for a bit striking the anvil instead of the workpiece; I asked him if he was using the dominant hand for the hammer.  he replied  that "no, he wanted to learn to use his off hand"  I told him he was free to damage his own equipment learning to use his off hand; but he was not welcome to damage *MINE*!

Steve,  you claimed that there are populations that are primarily left handed, which would indicate either a cultural bias in handedness, or some sort of strong genetic component.  If that were true, then I would expect every article about handedness in humans to mention it.  Everything I have read and can find on the subject says the same thing. Populations of humans are predominately right hand dominate, with 10-30% of the population being left hand dominate.  If you count mixed hand dominate you get the higher , 30%, number.   There is some evidence, not well attested to, that the number is rising. No one has found a strong genetic component.  Hand dominance appears to be set before birth, but the mechanism is unclear.  As far as I can tell hand dominance does not appear to run in families.

If you have evidence to the contrary, I'd like to see it.

BTW, horses are nearly all left dominate (it's why all horse races are run counterclockwise) , great apes don't seem to show any preference, and elephants appear to be evenly split.  I suspect that NASCAR races are all left turns out of tradition.

Geoff