I Forge Iron

Anvil HELP!!!

App:

I have enough tooling to do what I need....most of them I made..had to cause I couldn't find what I needed...

Don't have a mill, don't have a surface grinder or a buffer over 1/3HP (there's a serious reason for that one..)...don't have alot of stuff cause I don't need them...my most "modern" item is Julius Squeezer and his little nephew Augustus...I am having a blast making stuff up for Augustus, just made some welding dies for him today and will be making some smaller diameter fullering dies tomorrow...might even make up some top/bottom swages as well...

JPH

I left the stove with the MOB group (Mid Ohio Blacksmiths) in hopes they would bring it to Quad-State every year; but it looks like the group imploded after I left; hope they get back together and start bringing it again---for a while we trtied to make a new "flaming anvil" item for QS, The first one was an anvil outline made from copper tubing drilled for propane---from across the campsite it looked like a neon sign!

M- There's nothing wrong with planning for the future, even if it's a fantasy future. Make your drawings and plans, keep them in notebooks and keep them handy. I've been doing it since I was 9-10 and still do it.

Every once in a while I'll browse back through my old notebooks, sometimes laughing at the grandiose plans I had "way" back then, other times I wonder than my plans and desires haven't changed in 40 years or more. The best though is when I happen on something I wrote or drew decades ago and the lightbulb goes on.

HEY! That wasn't a bad idea! I didn't know how to do it then or couldn't afford it then but now I do and can.

So, don't stop dreaming, life itself will do enough to keep you from them and every once in a while it'll allow you the opportunity to realize one so it's best to keep a goodly trunkful of dreams handy so you can take advantage. ;)

Frosty

THomas:

Man I would of like to of seen that anvil stove....

Ya know groups have a tendency to do that sometimes when the "keystone members" leave for what ever reason...Seems that there are always the "inner core" people that do everything and when one or two of them leave it all falls apart. One reason why i am not too keen on joining much of anything organizational wise...

Being out here in the middle of more or less nothing forge wise in Southern Nevada isn't all that bad but it would be nice to have a couple of other hammer heads to bounce ideas and other hair brained schemes off of every now and then..

JPH (looks like I am building a new forge..the old thermo-nuclear toaster ain't doing it volume wise any more...)

The stove was not hard to build.

We started out by drilling a good sized hole (1/2"?) in from the heel in the middle of the area that would go past the hardy hole to almost the end of the face. This is the main supply line.

Next we drilled holes from one side to almost the other that would intersect the main supply line. These were then tapped and plugged where they entered the side so it would be gas tight.

Then we laid out a grid on the face that would intersect the cross drilled holes and drilled small "jet" holes.

We fabbed up a mixer for air/propane to feed into the main supply line so we could get less sooty flames. ISTR we borrowed parts from an ex gas grill for that.

Finally I forged a piece of steel to fit in the anvil and hold a coffee pot over the "stove".

Clifton Ralph thought it was a hoot!

It was like drilling butter, except for 1 hard area we hit. We did it on a fairly small drillpress; but not a cheap one (to keep the holes running straight)

Thomas:

Ok you rat...heh heh heh...you know now I gotta make me one of these...

Hummmmmmm looks like I am going to be buying a anvil shaped boat anchor pretty soon....

That will so sssoooooooooooooo cool at my next get together...wonder if I can stir fry my yaki-soba over it???
JPH

Well at US$28, IIRC, + a lot of labour it was a pretty good return on the money. We rigged it up to run faily low as we wanted to be able to have it on for a long time as a display; but with tweaking of entry pressure and jet hole size you could probably get one that would rival a high heat cooking burner.

it was sensitive to wind though so you may want to make a simple wind screen for it for use in open areas.

And ours had MOB chiseled on the horn

Another thought is to make a sheet metal anvil shaped stove. If you've seen Roger Degner's, "Peter Wrong" anvil you know what I mean. Then you'd be able to make it into a BBQ, stove with gridle or whatever. It's a cool or should I say "cooking with gas" idea.

While this isn't really on topic, it's close. Last summer I found a 36" dia wok at a garage sale and intend to make an outdoor setup for it in the summer kitchen. Well, while a club member was out welding up his home built anvil the wok got noticed and now I'll be taking it to our next meeting to cook a potluck lunch. We'll be using the casting furnace for the burner.

Like I say, similar but not quite the same.

Frosty

JPH, I assume you would space two of the cross lines so you could drill from the top and make a hole to insert a sword into where the crossguard would hold the pots over the flames.

A grace note would be to have holes in the fuller so you could set different heights with a pin---or drill and tap the anvil so that a set screw could be used from the side with a nice hand forged handle.