I Forge Iron

First Smithing question

Ok so up until now all of my post have been mostly asking about buying things, and values. So now I actually have a smithing question. I know I'm a noob so this is a dumb question. I fired up my forge for the very first time today. I actually got it fired up quickly and all was going very well.

I was working with some .25 round mild steel and that went fine. Then I wanted to have a go at the project that got me started in all of this making a rail road spike into a camp ax.

The first heat went well and I was able to start my cut for the handle. I put it in for the second heat and my fire died!! The fire ball just went out. I did had some more coal to the fire right before is That what made it go out? I'm really not sure what happened there but I was a little disappointed when it did happen. Any and all help is always appreciated. Thanks Anthony

Thanks for the advice rich. That's exactly what I did. Turns out its not a fire problem at all. Its a forge problem. I only have one bolt going across the air pipe. The gap is way to big. I believe what happened was my fire ball fell down the great. When I went back out to start another fire I started the cranking and after 30 seconds or so of cranking I had a small fire ball. That seemed odd to me and when I looked down at my pipe it was glowing red. I moved around the coal a little bit and sure enough my fire ball was down in my air pipe. Now for another questions whats the best way to put it out? just let it burn its self out or toss some water on it.

Some times I over react and just start fireing off questions when what I should be doing is figuring it out myself. Thanks Anthony

Anthony,

How established was your fire?

When I start a fire, I usually crank the blower lightly for several minutes to get it going. Then I putter about getting stock ready, tools out and in place, etc stopping every now and then to run the blower. It may be 20 minutes before I put steel in the fire.

It's actually pretty hard to put out an established coal fire. All the heat in the firepot and coal keeps it going. Even if it burned way down and I pile lots of coal on it, it wouldn't go out (it would be useless to heat metal until the coal "coked", but it wouldn't go out).

A young, cold fire on the other had will go out if you sneeze on it.

How much coal did you add?

I don't add coal to the fire. I rake in the stuff that's been "cooking" on the edge and add raw coal to the edge. That's good management but as I said above, it's pretty hard to suffocate an established fire.

If those thoughts don't help, add more details and we'll take another swing at it ;-)!

You gotta have an air grate in a bottom blast forge. Nothing fancy needed but something sure is. The real path to mastering any craft is failure analysis. Having folk willing to answer questions is a plus.  Really enjoying answering honest questions is a really good thing on our end. <wink>

Frosty The Lucky.

What is the size of your air pipe? What is the size of the bolt you used for a grate?

This is a 2-1/4 pipe with 1/4 inch round bar for the grate.

This is a 2 inch and a 3 inch pipe with 3/8 inch bolt for the grate.

This is the 3 inch air pipe with 2 3/8 inch bolts for the grate. The extra bolt was needed due to the size of the 3 inch pipe.

All work well. You will need to build a fire and let the coal coke up a bit so it does not go through the opening of the grate. I have used all three with coal dust or fines. Put the fines into a bucket and then cover them with water. After the fire is established and working, scoop out a handful of wet coal fines and put them on the top of the fire, leaving a hole in the center for flame to go through. Think volcano. The wet fines will coke up just like any other coal and once coked will not fall through the grate.

Dump the ash out of the air tube early and often. Once it hits the ground or catch pan or bucket, put water on it to put the fire in the ash out.

Its 2.75 in. and their is one bolt that is 3/8th's. Im going to add two pieces of rebar to make the grate. I have some 3/8's I think that should work. I did find some things about my forge out today. The fire pot is too deep I think. And as you predicted glenn it smokes with only a 8" opening at the top. Im not sure if I want to scrap the drum and start over or try and run it pretty much as is for now. I might see if I can find a break roater and do some modifying but for now I think I should make due with what I have and then I will know better what I need when I make another.

Thanks for all the response guy. I hate to admit this but I am kinda used to having my hand held when working on new to me things and not just goin out and doing it and figuring it out as I go. Today was a great lesson for me in more ways than just smithing. Thanks Anthony

Don't sweat asking for help Anthony we all do now and again. Figuring this all out on your own is really over rated, I did and will so testify. I learned more the first day I watched an experienced smith work than I had seriously skull sweating for months trying to teach myself.

Holding your hand is maybe a bit much but . . . <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

Greetings Ohio86,

In the words of my favorite movie.. " Jeremiah Johnson "   "YOU WILL DO WELL PILGRIM "   Take your time and heed the folks here on IFI .  They are more than willing to help you on your way...

PATIENCE AND WIZDOM

Jim

post-30666-0-62896200-1396314712_thumb.p

Worldly Wisdom is the ability to learn from someone else's mistakes with out having to make them yourself...

Godly Wisdom is living in faith filled obedience to the word of God, and the prompting of the Holy Spirit :-)

There are no short cuts in life, but a good guide can save you a lot of time and trouble...

Observe, analyze, adapt, and overcome...  repeat...  :-)

Greetings Ohio86,

In the words of my favorite movie.. " Jeremiah Johnson "   "YOU WILL DO WELL PILGRIM "   Take your time and heed the folks here on IFI .  They are more than willing to help you on your way...

PATIENCE AND WIZDOM

Jim

Can you skin grizz Jim?

Frosty The Lucky.