I Forge Iron

Some small Viking inspired pieces

I've made several small pieces inspired by Viking artifacts recently.

I'm still making a lot of fire steels, and have been getting several custom orders for them, too.

I've made several of these little dragon ones.

post-417-0-95979400-1396144230_thumb.jpg

I also have been wanting to make one with a little loop on the tail.

post-417-0-00277100-1396144287_thumb.jpg

Most of the strikers I make are R-type, but I made these ones last week, with the more familiar two curled arms.

post-417-0-75279200-1396144374_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-14659700-1396144398_thumb.jpg

I took the zoomorphic form from the fire steel and added it to a little penannular brooch.  I've made a few of these now.

post-417-0-21249900-1396144483_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-78617500-1396144488_thumb.jpg

Finally, a ring pin with a leather cord to wrap around the pin when it place to keep it from shifting (the same job the ring of the penannular does).

post-417-0-33435400-1396144555_thumb.jpg

I usually use a beeswax and linseed oil finish, which gives a black finish, but recently I've been cleaning pieces on the wire wheel and finishing with paste wax, which gives a brighter finish. 

Thanks, gents.  Ausfire, they're finished with Johnson Paste Wax, usually used as a wood and floor finish.  The tin is old, nearly 30 years I'd say, but it gives a very nice, clear, clean finish.  I use it as a final coat when I use the beeswax and linseed oil, too.  I originally tried Minwax floor polish, but I got the satin finish and didn't care for it. 

Thanks for more eye candy Nick. I'll bet being 30 years old it comes from the time Johnsons contained Carnuba. I LOVE carnuba for finishing iron work, it's really hard but fluid when warm enough to fill all the nooks and crannies.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, the tin doesn't have any ingredients, but carnuba sounds right.  It also smells strongly of turpentine, but that dissipates very quickly, leaving a hard, glossy finish.  Carnuba is used to finish briar pipes for the same reason.

Basher, thanks!  I sell them on Etsy, under Iron Bay Forge.  I don't have a dragon striker listed right now but could forge one if you're interested: https://www.etsy.com/shop/IronBayForge

Jim, I uses to have a big beard, but I shaved it in favor of the moustache a few years ago.  It took my wife months to get used to it (she had never seen my chin before).  The beard comes and goes, but the 'tache stays.

e:

A strong turpentine smell sounds like carnuba to me alright. The stuff is so hard it has to have something to thin it or you have to use  an ice pick or similar to chip it out of the can. I have an old can of Treewax Carnuba I finish with and I love it, tough as nails and doesn't yellow with age.

Frosty The Lucky.