I Forge Iron

Whats wrong with this Hay budden?

Looks like the cut is right in the middle of the sweet spot. I need an Anvil but I don't think this one is worth the 300. I could be wrong.

I believe I have seen that one before. If he isn't willing to come waaaaaaaaay down on his price, I would walk away without a pause.

The face is the soul of the anvil, that one is half souled, Frankly i wouldn't pay US$100 for it unless I really needed a winter welding projectl then I migh go 100 depending on size...

I know that old anvils were often faced using multiple slabs of steel; and so failure of an individal piece is not unknown; but I would think an HB would be a single slabber.

I looked at a 140# H-B farrier anvil that had the top missing from the hardy hole forward. The grandfather had welded a forklift tine section on top with welds around the sides. It was listed for $400, I was willing to go $100, and when I called back a couple of weeks later it had been sold for $300. Uninformed people will pay the high prices. The problem then is that everyone else thinks that their broken anvils are worth as much.