I Forge Iron

anyone identify this vise ??

BCROB

just managed to get through the first top 3 layers of paint on this one  :rolleyes: , looking for some kind of i.d. if anyone recognizes the vise , will check AIA here shortly

its a tank, a real heavy bugger with a 7'' plus opening........

the mounting bracket old English style ??   I do recall seeing an "M" style before and also a Heart style but have only seen a few and not very often , first I've seen in person......picked this up today with another beauty 7'' and a throw in flattening hammer to sweeten the pot ;) 

VISE4image004_zps7084ccd8.jpg

VISE2image002_zpsd4605692.jpg

VISE1image001_zps5e96ce41.jpg 

Measure the width of the jaws, that indicates the usfullness and duty of this type of vise. Unlike machinist vises, leg vises don't generally need to open very far. 

From here it looks pretty heavy duty and in good condition, though the real condition is determined by the male and female threads on the closing screw. 

t

The side plates down by the pivot indicate that it's possibly German or other country in that area.

The mounting bracket is not tenoned and nothing specifically english about it save that it looks rather kludgey.

Measure the width of the jaws, that indicates the usfullness and duty of this type of vise. Unlike machinist vises, leg vises don't generally need to open very far. 

From here it looks pretty heavy duty and in good condition, though the real condition is determined by the male and female threads on the closing screw. 

thanks for the input .........I will measure the jaws in the morning , as for the screw the threads are pretty much in perfect condition , it opens and close very nicely , jaw close's even and tight , honestly I dont think its been used very much......thanks Thomas , German would be an intersting find , I dont have a german vise...........

here's the other one that came with this one

image0011_zps0e9f6363.jpg

also came with a flattening hammer stamped OCS ??  with about a 3'' square face  

At a smithing meeting today we repaired the leg on an old WI postvise.  The original weld below the pivot attachment was coming apart.  Pep forged out a chunk of WI into a long strip; spiral wrapped it around the leg and we did a gun barrel weld of the leg and it's new splint. Not a fancy repair but old school all the way!