I Forge Iron

Opportunities

I'm new to blacksmithing, I've had the urge to try it for a couple of years now. I don't see me being able to do it at home, since I live in an apartment.

After registration for next year's courses. I decided to sign up for Welding. I took a sneak peak in the workshop, and talking to previous students, it seems the teacher does some smithing in there. He has us do projects like making our own anvils (Which I doubt would work well, but it's neat). Here's to hoping I can smith as a class next year. 

Hello and Welcome. Take a minute to add your location so we all know where you are located. One of the guys here might have a suggestion of a group you can join local to you.

You'd be surprised what you can do out of an apartment with a bit of thought. A lot depends on where you are and what space is available for you. I used to do some welding and hot metal working when I used to rent. I'd have to take all the stuff outside and work in the yard and was limited in what I could use, but it was doable.

Most apartments in the US are very close to parks.  Said parks have outdoor barbeque grills that are made of rather stout iron..... and make great side-blase forges if you bring the air and piping.

A little bit of charcoal and a small anvil can see a lot of projects completed.  Most parks aren't populated until a nice weekend so you have the run of the place.  Water, bathrooms, nice scenery... and a forge!

Good Morning,

In your area is a very active Blacksmith group, North West Blacksmith Association (NWBA). check out www.blacksmith.org

There is a Spring Conference May 14-18 at the Fairggrounds in Longview.

NWBA have a monthly get together at Longview, last Sunday of every Month. Open to all. You night even contact someone and share a ride from the Seattle area.

Don't be shy, there are lots of places near you to get access to workspace and learning.

Neil

Good Morning,

In your area is a very active Blacksmith group, North West Blacksmith Association (NWBA). check out www.blacksmith.org

Open to all. You night even contact someone and share a ride from the Seattle area.

Neil

Thanks for the info Neil, I'll have to check it out.

I agree with Neil. Check out the websites for the North West Blacksmith Association, and the Artist Blacksmith Association of North America. Both sites have great information on smiths and events in your area. That's how I found my mentor and his school.

-Merk

Good Morning,

There is a Spring Conference May 14-18 at the Fairggrounds in Longview.

NWBA have a monthly get together at Longview, last Sunday of every Month. Open to all. You night even contact someone and share a ride from the Seattle area.

Don't be shy, there are lots of places near you to get access to workspace and learning.

Neil

Actually, our Mentoring Center session are on the fourth Saturday. The hands-on and open forge are members-only (liability...) but you can watch the demos as a guest of a member. And yeah, we're pretty spiffy! Our website is blacksmith.org.