I Forge Iron

Making armour, making rasptlesnakes from farrier's rasps, putting just the right curve on an andironleg, welding up patternwelded gun barrels, welding cable, truing up large tenons, working down pipe, acting as a bolster for large punching/drifting is stuff *I* have used mine for; I don't see what *you* would use one for.

Swages are one of the most useful of tools. They move metal. Rather then cutting metal they help move it to a new location. That is one of the differences between blacksmithing and machining. Machining is a subtractive process and blacksmithing is more or less a moving process. If a machinist wants to make round tenion on a piece of square stock he will cut it. A blacksmith will swage it. I think you need to know what swaging is first. So get a dictionary and look it up.;)

Round swages keep the underside of round stock round when you are working it, and keeps square stock square. Good for making half round section, for collars etc. Good for one hundred and one uses where you do not want to deform the underside of your metal.

Swages being half round half hex or V in shape allow you to strike the material to shape it and the support surface trues the shape. That's why Thomas has so many uses for them. I find them great not only for shaping, but also to form sheet for parts of floral forms, chamfering an edge in the correct height backer, and using the thru holes for drifting, along with using a wide radius as a straightening section for trueing parts back in line again.

As an example if you hit a pipe on the top in a V block - the V is striking in two lower points - hence you get results faster in shaping. Filling or working against a swage is a faster way to form.

Ralph

BP0184 Look - See
BP0244 Junk Yard Visit

Quit looking for a *swage block* and start looking for something to do the same job. The dished bottom of a gas cylinder makes a great swage, gears in make nice swages shapes, solid rounds such as hydraulic cylinders make great fullers.

BP0446 Using Your Anvil
Use your anvil, all the anvil, not just the face.

Quit looking for the name *swage*, and you will find all sorts of shapes with which to work.

I just wish they were not so darn expensive!!!

welder19

They're not.

You want to be a blacksmith don't you? Swages are easy to make. The scale can be large but the technique is simplicity itself.

Method 1. Cut two pieces of steel plate to match, say 2" x 3" or whatever you prefer. The plate's thickness must be the same as the dia of the swage you're making at a minimum.

Clamp both pieces of plate together with a piece of pasteboard between them. (playing cards, shirt cardboard, etc.) Put them in the drill press and carefully drill down the boundry between the plates.

Remember, if you exceed the thickness of the plate with the dia of the drill you will severely weaken the swage. You can also drill a number of swages in the same set. Clean up the edges of the (slightly less than) half round swages with a grinder, sander, etc. so it doesn't cut.

Weld a shank to match your hardy on one and a striking post and handle eye, rodding groove, etc. on the other and you have a matched set.

Method 2.

Cut a pair of matching plates and weld your hardy shank to one. Heat them both to high yellow and carefully place a piece of round, hex, oct, or whatever shape steel you want a swage for between the heated plates. Now whale the xxxx out of them to impress the shape into the swage blanks.

Care must be taken to keep both swage halves flat and dressing as with the drilled swages needs to be done as well. Weld your striking face and handle eye, rodding groove, or whatever you like to it and you're ready to go.

You'll need a sledge hammer and at least one friend you trust to swing it or who trusts you to swing it without anyone getting hurt. ;)

What Glenn said too!

Frosty