I Forge Iron

Headscratcher questions from customers

"Here's your sighn!"
Mostly I get horse related questions. I feel sorry for the horses...
"What kind of horse feed should I buy?"
"Can you put shoes on my horse?"
"Is that an anvil?"
"Do you "hot" shoe?"
"Is that hot?"
"Is that an anvil?"
"What do I need to do to break a horse to ride?"
" am I to big for my horse?"
Tho I must admit, Patty had the best, "dose he make my butt look small?" Patty is a large woman, 6' and I bet 300#, her horse, Hank is a 18H 2200# Belgian. So yes he made her but look small.

I should have made it clearer that by "headscratcher " I meant sensible/worthwhile customer questions that you don't 100% know the answer to.

It's only a headscratcher if you don't know the answer, 

Maybe your two examples weren't in that class.

Just answer to the best of your knowledge and be honest, if you don't know, then find out, its called experience,

The whole key to blacksmithing is find the problem, and sort it. 

I didn't know the answer to either (because I didn't know how corrosive milk was or how long "over time" was, as opposed to about steel) but I gave the best answers I could.

That's all you could do in the circumstances then, without all the necessary relevant facts, you cannot give a definitive answer, merely an  'in my opinion' type of answer which you seem to have done.

And if you are asking others to give you the answers, we too would require more than the general information you posted.

What materials and finish on your food safe item? by your definition it would imply being safe for food is what it says. or are you asking if milk is a food?

However different foods have different characteristics in cooking as opposed to eating situations, and react differently in those circumstances and these have to be taken into consideration.

As for the burnished finish, again specific type of material being used, any other finish applied over the burnishing, you say indoor, but again indoor conditions vary from damp or dry, and a more specific time span, would be helpful.

I hate so called 'simple questions', they very rarely have a simple answer.

The horse thing reminds me of human's

Typically people aren't all that smart myself included,

we are intuitive though, usually our intuition is based upon our emotions which allows us to given the right circumstances

to either do either incredible things or absolutely stupid things.

I have a friend and his life mantra is " I know what I am doing isn't really the best way of doing things but I really don't care because I will just do them wrong for now and deal with the problems later"

needless to say things don't usually work out all that well for him but its thoroughly entertaining to watch

I don't believe Joel was asking if you had answers to HIS questions. I think he was asking if you have been asked questions YOU could not answer. At least that is the way I read it. Anyway, I get those all the time :D If anyone says they never get a question they can't answer, I say they just ain't bein' honest to themselves ;)

Scott

I don't believe Joel was asking if you had answers to HIS questions. I think he was asking if you have been asked questions YOU could not answer. At least that is the way I read it. Anyway, I get those all the time :D If anyone says they never get a question they can't answer, I say they just ain't bein' honest to themselves ;)

Scott

Don't want to get into an argument here, just responding to what I saw on the screen, I would think we all have had that type of question, the key is how to tackle it and learn from it.

I was merely trying to say well done for being honest with what you knew, and trying to explain a response to a situation so others may benefit from my experience for future reference, or should I not bother?

If Joel didn't want to know the answers, then why did he put up?

Quote " I didn't know the answer to either (because I didn't know how corrosive milk was or how long "over time" was, as opposed to about steel) but I gave the best answers I could."

Or isn't he interested in how he can learn more so he could answer?

There is no shame or indignity in not knowing an answer, but a qualified answer is more realistic and establishes credibility.