I Forge Iron

My new baby

The tax man cometh, as he does every year. This time around, he was pretty good to me. 

2014-02-18_18-09-45_146_zpsca24500f.jpg

All I have to do now is get the base leveled and silicone it down. Then there's the 24 hour wait for the silicone to cure...

She's a Big Blu, and 260 lbs. Picked her up at the shop in Morganton, NC on Monday. I really enjoyed getting to meet the folks there. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, and I'd do business with them again in a heartbeat. No paid endorsements here, just wanting to spread the word about good people. They are having an open shop day on March 22nd if anyone is interested. Unless something goes pear-shaped, I'll be there. 

The good news is that you don't have to wait 24 hours for the silicone to cure.  I put a glob down on my stump, laid the anvil in it like it was a brick to mortar, and went to forging.  No fuss, no muss.  The only thing you have to worry about is how slick that silicone is when you first put the anvil on it.  The anvil will want to slip and slide, and it's a merry chase if you don't have that baby perfectly level!!  Definitely have something there to hold it in place until curing is complete.  

As long as it's secured to the stand, you can start forging right away.

The wait is over, finally got to do some work on it. Not used to having so much space to work, or having pritchell and hardy holes. It's almost like having another hand! Very nice rebound and dead solid, too!

2014-02-20_14-51-01_555_zps7f6f7e20.jpg

And, have to share my first project on her, too.

2014-02-20_16-39-04_764_zpsmvbpb7gi.jpg

• 1 month later...