I Forge Iron

gas forge

ironclad

Hi all. have just got a second hand gas forge and was wondering if the burner tips are made out of stainless steel? the old ones have burrned out. Have just bought a vermiculite board to replace the fire brick on the top of the inside of the forge as i couldn't sorce a brick to replace the broken one. 

Thanks, any help would be great.post-16075-0-09338100-1392130420_thumb.jpost-16075-0-64071400-1392130456_thumb.jpost-16075-0-64071400-1392130456_thumb.jpost-16075-0-90167000-1392130497_thumb.j[attac

hment=63560:054.JPG]

oh also how much of the burner should be into the box, past the top board? Thanks again.

post-16075-0-95723200-1392130595_thumb.j

Have you attempted to contact the maufacuer? Liners are a consumable as are burner flares. Failing that try one of the blacksmith or farrier supplies, as often some one has bought the old company out and is still making parts.
As to the tips, my proforge uses the liner as the flare, so the tips of the burners are recessed in to the liner. By 1/2-3/4"

Thanks Charles,and iron dwarf, Yes i did try the web site ( Blacksmith snc, Italy ) but the site is comming up as having a virus, so thats out. I'm still not sure if the burners are stainless? as the old ones are burned out.
Again many thanks for the reply.

Cheers.

post-16075-2455006_thumb.jpg

Everything I've read about burners says that the tips are not supposed to extend into the chamber.  The ones you have do appear to be stainless, but that could just be the picture.

Overall, the forge looks like a hoss!  Three burners, manual chokes and a hefty door... very nice.  The only thing I would caution would be to come up with some way of blocking off most of the forge so you're only running one or two burners depending on the work you're doing.  I have a three-burner and can't imagine how much gas it would burn if I used all three!

Definitely paint the inside with an IR reflector like Metrikote or ITC100.

IR reflector before mixing with water is very light. You could probably get it shipped reasonably. Wayne Coe sells some (google Wayne Coe blacksmith), might ship internationally.

Also, pottery and glasswork face similar issues. Look for Kiln supplies and glass work supplies, you might find something.

There are one or two different recipes for a poorman's version of ITC100 knocking around. Essentially they tend to be around 2 parts Zirconium Silicate to 1 part china clay powder, mixed to a paint-on consistency with either water or blanket rigidizer (Sodium Silicate) for more absorbent surfaces. I think many of the batt wash formulations may have a high enough Zirconium Silicate content to work well.

You should be able to find the stuff at any decent pottery suppliers. RPM might be worth a try. Failing that, Ulster or Scarva in the North.