I Forge Iron

iron & glass

bikecopXXX

behold a small lamp i just completed.  i can take credit for the base and dome on top of the globe.  the rest is a broken wine glass, LED light kit xxxxx and some bits from the hardware store. 

base is from 3/8 round, mig welded at the joint.  dome started as sheet metal, hot formed in the swage block, but needed more curvature so i worked it cold on a piece of wood to tighten it up.  came out ok, not perfect as usual.  wine glass was drilled thru with a diamont tipped hole saw.  first time for that and no problem, just do it wet. 

LED lights have on-off-dim-and multiple flash modes.

It's a gift for daughter #2 and she seems thrilled. 

commercial link removed

post-41149-0-19304300-1391467876_thumb.j

I drilled a hole in the glass and used a chandelier pass thru from home cheapo. It's a hollow threaded piece with a hook on top for hanging and a nut on the bottom to clamp it. The fitter In the pic is my 4th iteration. It was formed from mild steel sheet metal, hot hammered into a swage block ladle depression, then cold formed on a wood block to tighten up the radius some. That was kinda fun and made me wonder about making armor someday. Just a ball peen hitting on the inside surface while resting on wood.