I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing Schools

Look up Frank Turley's school and Brian Brazeal's classes. There are schools like Touchstone and JC Campbell that you should consider.

Go to a blacksmith hammer in or gathering, You will be surprised how much you can learn in a day or two.

The IBA conference in central Indiana is in early June; Quad-State in western Ohio is in September.  If bladesmithing is on your path the ABS school(s) are a great way to get focused instruction.  I'm most aware of the one in Texarkansas AR.  Frank Turley's school in Santa Fe NM is justly famed!    J.C.Campbell offers classes on the east coast. 

New England School Of Metalwork, Auburn, Maine.  They run all manner of classes from the beginner, tool making, knife work, etc.  Great place, reasonable prices and fantastic instructors. They have a web site you can checkout for more information. Good luck.

Peter

There are quite a few places on the East Coast that do classes.

Peters Valley in NJ has a lot of classes.

http://www.petersvalley.org/html/blacksmithing.cfm

Bryn Athyn College near Philly does a couple of 4 day classes in end of June and thru July.

http://www.brynathyn.edu/academics/sacredarts/

There are a couple of places in NC that do week long classes from what I remember.

After some reflection on the above post, which I posit as true from experience, I feel the need to reflect a conversation I had with a friend who is highly regarded as one of the best instructors in the nation. He was working at one of the places listed above, and giving month long classes for the advanced student. He was pleading with me to sign up, as historically, folks dump off a kid with him, and take a cruise to the Greek Islands, or similar. He often wasted his time babysitting a child who would rather be playing IPod, than generating a blister. Everybody got paid, but nobody came out the smarter. Please don't do that.  Join your local group, inch up as knowledge advances. This trade is not an instant gratification candidate.