I Forge Iron

Needing local blacksmith that can heat treat my knives

Hello.  I am in the process of making some knives from 1095 and need someone who can heat treat them for me.  I am using 1095.  I tried a sample piece in a makeshift coal forge and it didn't turn out well.  Some of the metal seemed to melt and after quenching in oil there were deep pitted areas all over.  Also I went through the tempering process twice at 400 deg. for 1 hour each and after the second time I had some cracks in the knife edge.

I am a beginner so I don't have many tools.  Just a side cutter and 6" grinding wheel.

I live in Chattanooga, TN so if anyone knows of someone close by that can give me a hand with this I would great appreciate it.

Thank you.

try again,  I will heat treat them for you, but no reason for me to, You can do it,  1095 is one off the easiest.

Heat slowly.  Your forge fire does not need a lot of air.  preheat the quench oil by heating a chunk of scrap before heating the blade, and dunk that a few times, wont take to long to pre heat the oils to about 120F. that is how I do it.  use tongs.   After dunking the blade, count to 30 then hang to drip dry and cool, . then into oven at 325F for 2 hours and polish.

First I will move this post to the knife section,  read the info on heat treating there, it explains what is happening as we harden the steels. Classes  are posted there also

Try burying a bit of pipe in the fire and using it as a baffle when you are hardening. That way you will be able to see how hot the blade is and won't run such a risk of over heating it ;)

Also, read the knifemaking section on here for more useful tips on the heat treating process. You don't need a lot of kit to make a good blade :)