I Forge Iron

my first anvil

Picked up my very first anvil yesterday. Its a 150 pound Southern Crescent. Got it for what I believe to be a sweet price of $100. Its pretty beat up and a bit rough around the edges. Good enough for a little backyard starter forge? What do you think?

post-51118-0-04507800-1390158212_thumb.j

post-51118-0-30089100-1390158236_thumb.j

I've heard good things about that brand, though I've never tried one that I'm aware of.  Getting it for less than a dollar a pound is downright awesome!  

Condition if really good.  The dings in the top plate will work out over time as you forge on the thing.  Definitely a great size and weight for anything you might want to do, either as a professional smith or a hobbyist.  

Looks to me like you nailed it right out of the gate.  Couldn't ask for better than that.

Thanks VaughnT, that's what I was hoping to hear. I had actually given up hope trying to find an anvil for what I was willing to spend, so I called an old friend that's been doing metal work for 30+ years to see if he had a piece of railroad rail or something he'd be willing to part with. I stopped by his shop and almost crapped my pants when he hauled this thing out from under a shelf in the back dusty corner.

Thomas Powers doesn't have that many anvils; he has just *found* a lot of anvils.  Generally they go on to students who are having trouble finding their own for prettymuch the same price I paid for them.  All the ones in the shop get used on a fairly regular basis as I neither "collect" them or hoard them.