I Forge Iron

My First Hand Forged Wood Working Tool

Hey everyone,

Inspired by the work of John Neeman tools, I have been wanting to shift my iron work to wood working tools.

Having some spare time in the shop, I decided to try my hand at forging a Froe. 

For those of you who do not know what a froe is, I'll explain. A froe is a tool used by old time frontiersmen to make wooden shingles, or short boards. The edge of the froe is set on top of  a log sitting on it's end, and then the top edge of the froe is struck by a wooden mallet. When the wood starts to split, you can pull backwards or forwards on the wooden handle to control the direction of the split in the wood.

I forged this froe out of a piece of leaf spring, and then hand carved the handle using a draw knife and spoke shave. The handle it's self is made of a piece of Cherry, harvested off of my farm.

post-23014-0-52647800-1386877889_thumb.j

post-23014-0-16048900-1386877899_thumb.j

post-23014-0-94501000-1386877910_thumb.j

post-23014-0-57633500-1386877932_thumb.j

post-23014-0-70492000-1386877941_thumb.j

Good looking fro you have there.  Too much leaf springs?or just wanted to work hard?  First one I tried was out of leaf spring as well.  To many problems so I went to mild steel.  Easier to weld and faster/easier to form.  They don't need a sharp edge and often are better with a rounded edge.  The bevel ideally should go all the way to the back of the  "blade"  as this tool is just one large wedge.  Think of it more as a splitting wedge then a knife.   Got your maul all made up for it to?  Oh and a good tool for making handles it is.  

Nice work. I have made some small basket froes from rasps. I cannot get leaf spring to forge weld. Do I see the tell tale signs of mr Lincoln on your weld? You may find you use it more than you think. I rive all my tool handles before heading to the shave horse or lathe.

Nice work. I have made some small basket froes from rasps. I cannot get leaf spring to forge weld. Do I see the tell tale signs of mr Lincoln on your weld? You may find you use it more than you think. I rive all my tool handles before heading to the shave horse or lathe.

Leaf spring is a little more difficult to forge weld, but I've done it when I make small hip hatchets. When I forge weld leaf spring, I use 40 mule team borax, it seems to work better than EZ weld or Iron Mountain flux.  Actually Mr. Miller   :)

Very nice work.  I've made a few of them out of leaf springs if only because the spring had the eye already formed!  

Josh Burrell did a really nice froe that I've been keen to try and duplicate even if it is a hair complex....

http://thenewhearth.blogspot.co.uk/2013_08_01_archive.html

Mr Burrell does nice work.   with that much material in the fold, if the forge weld fails, just bolt it;)