I Forge Iron

Austrian anvil

The feet were forged when the anvil was made.  I am sure that you could form very hot steel on them, but why take the chance.  Make a swage form that you need and use it in the hardy or a vise.

In my world, that anvil would be on display in my museum or house.  It is a cool design and I enjoy just looking at it.  But it is a tool designed to be used.

is that your anvil? it appears that it has a nice decoration chiselled on it too. make yourself tools to put in the swage block or in the vice , it would serve you better an you won't ruin that beautiful anvil's legs.

I also own 3 austrian pattern anvils (similar to yours, not so beautiful, without decoration), but I don't use the legs to forge on, it haven't seemed  to have any advantage and haven't felt the need to do it yet. but's your anvil...

nakovanj-slika-12752946.jpgTo notice this is' not my anvil. I dont own this photo i just google it to  show model.Like i dont own an anvil in first photo. I will use my wagon axle anvil its long but it have somekind cone on it. Its good for begining. I saw this kind anvil with "stairs " and at my school at two blacksmths who are brother and some Austrian-hungary bellows that have itself fashion.Acctualy this is anvil with stair comonly you can see here. Ther price for this anvil is 200 or 250 KM wich is like 140$ or more.

I would like to see the forging process of the bases of those anvils - sure are nice looking anvils

I never sav anybody to foging on that stairs. But i think you could bend sheet metal at 90 degrees. And above horn there is one hole i dont know for what kind of work is that for.