I Forge Iron

Good book of early American tools

EricS

My wife brought home a book from work that a older customer had brought in to give to me. It's a small illustrated paperback back called A Museum of Early American Tools by Eric Sloan. It has some great examples for those of you who like to forge hand tools. Just figure I'd pass it along.
Eric Spost-23601-0-07949900-1386199451_thumb.jpost-23601-0-26349700-1386199556_thumb.jpost-23601-0-53012600-1386199756_thumb.j

That book and many more that Eric Sloan wrote have been around for almost 50 years.  I have to admit that he is part of the reason I am who I am today.  It started with "Diary of an Early American Boy", and took off from there.  I have most of his books, and have read and reread them many times.  His drawings are wonderful.

The Eric Sloan Museum in Kent CT is a great place to visit, it happens to be next door to the CT Antique Machinery Museum which has a very large in old Equipment collection as well as a large new Blacksmith shop, live narrow gauge steam RR engine with repair shop, saw mill and a very nice collection of operating steam engines.  They have a collection of operating one lunger engines to make the trip most interesting.  

Eric Sloan also wrote many books on Barns and NE Life all of which would b e interesting for hardware .  He was a great Artist as well, I have a number of his works in my homes.  The detail is super if you wanted to make door latches, hinges and what not from the 1800's. 

You might try the books by  Edwin Tunis too, especially his book "Colonial Craftsmen" where there is shown how the blacksmith was the toolmaker for all the other trades. His drawings are fantastic too. It's more detailed than the books by Sloane.