I Forge Iron

New shop for public demos

Fe-Wood

Forge location  

12 members have voted

1. 1. I'm considering where to locate the forges as this will set up everything else.

• Back to back in the center of the space.
    • On either end of the space.
    • As 2 independent work spaces with room all around the forges

I've been asked to help design a blacksmiths shop for a state park interpretive center. They are able to put up a 12' X 20' dirt floor building with 7 to 8' sloped ceiling. The layout would be with the 20' length being the viewing wall. It will have 2 large, 7' wide openings for people to watch from. On either end of the building will be 2 doors for access and ventilation. This is to be a period shop with 2 working smithing stations using cast iron forge bodies and hand crank blowers because of the limited space. A bellows is a possibility for 1 forge. The period is the 1860s.

My goal is to make them functional stations that are easily viewed by the public. I would like the smiths to be in close proximity to the windows to facilitate easy conversation with the public. I would rather not have a wall between the public and the smiths but it is needed for security reasons.

I have put together a little poll to ask which way people feel the forges should be configured while keeping in mind the focus is on public interaction.

Thank you for your input!

I'll try to find some pictures from two of our setups out here in California, one at a County Park and the other at a very nice museum in Mariposa County. That will explain my vote for two independent stations. Both locations are close to those measurements you have.

If I can't find them, I'll go take some pictures this next week.

Here are two shops in NC that were built with public viewing safety in mind. First is the State Fairgrounds shop in Raleigh, built with the shop floor a foot or so below the grade of the public platform. Makes everything easier to see,and keeps sparks, etc. below the eye level of the public. The forges are at the back, and the anvils at the front so that you address the public over the anvil.

post-114-0-81448000-1385604444_thumb.jpg

Second is the Dixie Classic Fairgrounds shop in Winston-Salem. All on one level, but there is a wheelchair accessible elevated platform to one side. Back to back forges built in an "island" with a common chimney, again with the anvils parallel with the viewing windows.

post-114-0-75778000-1385604514_thumb.jpg

I am working with a local museum with plans to do much the same with a 20 x 30 building.

Good Morning,

Have a half wall between spectators and the shop. I have seen sparks land on women's fronts, if the public is too close. Kids eyes are also about that height. Don't be shy about keeping people back a bit. Little kids, dogs, unexpected things will cause you a little loss of sleep. Be cautious!!

We have a similar set-up for Vancouver Island Blacksmith Association at Luxton Fairgrounds. People will walk in your man doors at the ends and come right up to you and ask "What are you doing?". Duhhhh.

We moved some bleachers just outside our half wall. It helps, but you can't control stupid.

Neil

Colonial Williamsburg has the best demonstration smith shop I have ever seen. And it is also a great running shop! I would try and avoide a full wall removed for viewing. Wind can cause smoke to swirl around and coal smoke in the face of a visitor will drive them away very fast. I think a door around 8 foot wide would be a much better option. There are many photos of the Williamsburg shop on the internet.
Also one of the best things Williamsburg does is to always keep 2 people in the shop at the same time. One person can forge and the other talks to the public. It is pretty ridiculous to try and really make something and chat with the public at the same time.

post-35726-0-65634700-1385670187_thumb.j

Here's one shot of the smithy at the Mariposa County Museum. When they have school groups I go over and give them a hand running the forge while Mike here narrates and keeps them back.

Behind the line of kids is another forge if we have the need to run two forges.

The below pic is from where I took the above picture.

post-35726-0-68230600-1385670487_thumb.j

Sure like the two shops that John McPherson gets to play in.

I've been to a few demos and have 2 suggestions
If you use a plexiglas shield, make sure it doesn't face a door or windows or public sees only glare and end up looking around the ends of the shield to see the action, defeating the safety intent.
Also provide seats & leaning posts...most demos take longer than the attention span of kids, and if they're standing they won't stay around.

Good luck

Actually window screen makes a safe barrier without limiting visibility too much. The metal stuff is fairly flux proof when forge welding, the fiberglass, not so much, but OK for the occasional spark. They also make clear and yellow welding/grinding curtains that can be hung up on a rail to open and close.

I agree with MLMartin on Williamsburg's set up. Plexiglas shuts the viewer out doesn't allow conversation or questions (I know 90% are the same questions) but if you don't want inter action run a video!

Williamsburg is great, the viewer is there in the shop only a table separating you from the forge plus space and a person talking with you all the time, a display on the table, very people friendly.

If you are inviting people to come watch keep what you are doing, keep it simple so you are not striking something large with stuff flying around near the viewers. Plan ahead what can be made there and have a "show & tell" table to show what can be made. Nobody is going to be standing there long enough for you to make a hammer, most will not last a coat hook.

Most of the work will be small and simple for the reasons you said notownkid. Peoples attention span is 30 to 50 seconds unless you are doing something they have never seen and making noise and or sparks. My goal with this demo station is to give people a reasonably accurate depiction of what a Blacksmith did around 1860 to 1900. Most all the work produced will be ornamental in nature end up in the gift shop for sale. 

Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions! Keep'em coming-