I Forge Iron

fisher with a hardie hole just a tad small, help?

So I bought a 150# fisher anvil Sunday, and I love it! but I was measuring and admiring it and I noticed the hardie hole being a tiny bit small. It's about 1/16th of an inch too small one way and 1/8th inch small the other direction, and I was wondering if anyone thinks its worth trying to modify the anvil, or just make my hardies fit the anvil? my only concern with doing that is when I eventually get another anvil and the hardies are too small. thoughts everyone?

There is no standard size for hardy holes, there is a peak in the statistical distribution around 1"; but I have 3 anvils with 1.5",. one with 1.25" a bunch with around 1" and even a 7/8" hardy hole. I also have a hardy that has a 3/8" stem on it---I think it came from a "vise-anvil" thing.  (it's cute)

Also anvils often have punched hardy holes and so due to punching slop may be too big, small or out of square. (Your Fisher would have been cast and so one wonders about it's issue, though I've had casting problems myself before...

It's up to you if you want to size the hole to suit yourself or to customize your hardy tooling

Greetings K,

1/8 short one way and 1/16 short the other sounds like a 7/8 hardie hole you are trying to fit 1 in hardies in,... What is the true measurement...  If is 7/8 I would hand file to fit...  Check with njanvilman for more info..  

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

if it was mine i would work it to square and then make tooling to fit it

i have jammed hardie tools in one one of my anvils that has a slightly rectangular hardie hole

and as i have several tools that it is nice to be able to swap what way i put them in i tool the time with a chisels and a file to square it up

Fisher anvils made before Crossley took over 1962 had hardy holes that were formed around a ceramic core.  They were very accurate and needed little cleanup except for the slight chamfer to the face.  Sometime after Crossley began making Fisher anvils, they stopped forming the hardy hole with a core and cast it "solid".  After grinding, but before heat treating, the hardy holes were drilled and broached square.  Most that I have seen are very accurate dimensionally.  Of course, with all products, some could have been slightly "off".  It is possible, but difficult, to file the hole out.  That is your choice.

I would make your tooling to fit the anvil.  As will many smiths, you will grow to love your Fisher, and parting with it will be hard.  Maybe only to go to a bigger Fish!

Thank you everyone, i really appreciate the input! i'm hoping to never have to sell it, just get another one (or several) in addition to this one =]
and making hardies to fit will be rewarding, this particular fisher was made in 1940, and it is beautiful and i'm extremely grateful to have it.

Many old cast iron/steel face anvils have a hardy hole that is larger at the base than on the face. Many wrought iron anvils have hardy holes that get narrower the deeper you go, are rectangular in shape, and/or are not 90 degrees to the face. Some folks also "repair" the worn and chipped edges on anvils with various welding rods, and with various levels of skill.

All of which can lead to stuck tools, or tools that only fit one way. The fix is the same in any case.

It can be ground larger with an air tool with carbide bits and then hand filed square and true if you are patient. Lay out your desired profile with a sharpie and a scratch awl.  A small machinist square helps if you are trying to get the hole square to the face.

Masking tape on the anvil face will help keep the scratches down if the tool skips. Full face shield over safety glasses on your face keeps from scratching your eyeballs with the chips thrown by the air tool. Brush yourself off carefully when you are done to keep the grit and chips out of your eyes, and from tracking it into your home. Many old fashioned machinists wear coveralls and boots that they can change out of after work for this reason.

Thank you everyone, i really appreciate the input! i'm hoping to never have to sell it, just get another one (or several) in addition to this one =]
and making hardies to fit will be rewarding, this particular fisher was made in 1940, and it is beautiful and i'm extremely grateful to have it.

1940 Fisher would have had the hardy hole cast in.  It appears that a defective core was used on your anvil.  Stuff happens.  Most are perfect, but occasionally an undersized on snuck it.  I am suprised it was not caught at the factory.