I Forge Iron

Some new old tools

Dave Budd

I don't know where to start, I'm always happy whenever I get to see beautiful woodworking tools like these!

My favourite knives are the ones with filename "Ironhaw" and "Ironhorn", but that makes me realize I might be too much of a scandi-conservatist.

Is it period correct to have the seam on the edge side on some of these? Our tradition is rather strict on hiding the seam so it's not cut by the blade, but if it was correct in Britain, it could have been here too, just that we have no evidence for it.

What are welts? Decoration?

I love your tools Dave!  PetersonJ20: I have found that a large gouge with a diagonal edge will slice a neat spill out of straight grained surfaces!  You don't need a corner to cut as a traditional spill plane requires.  It is also much easier to make the gouge than a spill plane!  I work the gouge with a slide cut pulling sideways rather than pushing.  

Thanks folks. I had intended to do more iron/shear steel stuff, pattern welded blades and more tools, but time as always got away from me  :rolleyes:

Stefflus. I really don't like sheaths that aren't made of good thick leather and have a welt to stiffen and stop the edge cutting the stitches, but sadly the archaeology is against me there :(  I found a great pdf of a book about leather finds from York, mostly 5th-12th century but with some earlier bits too. It is were lots of sheathes and descriptions of how things were constructed both at York and elsewhere. There is a little variation with the dates, but basically they are either sewn up the back (centrally or off to the side a little) or sewn to the edge like a modern sheath but with no welt. I think the key is to sew the sheath damp and very tiht, so that the leather is pulled together and thus in the way of the blade, also to mold the leather away from the blade so it hits the side not a crease (a little like in the other style). Just to be a little more sure I have dipped them all in hot wax to harden them further, but I wouldn't do this if I didn't have to!  Sadly there is no evidence for wooden blade catchers other than on swords