I Forge Iron

Arkansas research help

Steve Sells

Call the local Fire Dept and ask them if they know this group.  If they are an established group the firemen would have trained with them.  Specifically, the swift water rescue team members would know who they train with and the groups from nearby rescue districts.  Good luck.  

The forestry service will know if they're legit as well. What are they asking you to make? If they pay, does it matter? I suppose it does if you offer a discount to fire and rescue organizations so it'd pay to  know.

Frosty The Lucky.

the State page for corporations say they filed incorporation as a company 5 months ago.  The listed phone number is disconnected, the people listed as officers do not answer phone numbers I found for them, and the local Fire Dept hever heard of them. Since a link I  found does say they are connected with a missing childrens group, I figured maybe not conected to the FD isnt a bad sign if they search for adbucted/missing  children, but that group does not have them listed on their page of supporters and volenteers.

One man sent me an Email, requesting blades for their search teams, for me to donate 2 or 3 blades if possable.   I think I will pass.

In fairness, if they are a real group, I am sorry.  But its their own faul that their on-line presence is not reachable, phones discconnected and I even asked a person I know casually living in the area, he could not find any more than I did either. So I do nont think I can trust this request is honorable.  Wanted to give one last try here before I toss the request.

I agree Steve, they need to be more upfront. Of course they may just be so new they're not very well organized.

I wouldn't burn any bridges but I would tell them they need a more established presence. Of course if they cross my palm at the going price, it's good enough for me. I'm thinking I'd have to be careful about someone just looking for a discount.

Frosty The Lucky.

I agree Steve, they need to be more upfront. Of course they may just be so new they're not very well organized.

I wouldn't burn any bridges but I would tell them they need a more established presence. Of course if they cross my palm at the going price, it's good enough for me. I'm thinking I'd have to be careful about someone just looking for a discount.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'd have to agree. When I worked in SCUBA retail we used to constantly get requests for various Dive rescue groups for either significant discounts or donations. As there is only one "real" dive rescue team in the area and we worked quite a bit with their members, and none of them ever had heard of these other groups, we figured most to just be guys wanting cheap stuff and thought they'd found an angle to get it.

We'd usually be happy to give them a discount if they bought in quantity, same as any other group or organization and we'd always tell them we'd be happy to work out a different price on future sales once they had established a visible presence in the community, crediting them part of the 1st sale towards a future  bulk purchase. I think we only ever had one group that actually followed thru.

After 9/11 when the Feds were handing Homeland security money out like it was free crack samples, a lot of guys got the idea that they could get the Feds to give them free gear if they started dive teams. Fire, police and rescue squads all jumped in on this. They at least had good hard documentation to back up their requests as they needed all that official paperwork to qualify for the federal grants under homeland security. One shop in Jersey that I used to work with had one employee full time back then just to process all the quotes and help handle all the federal paperwork to get these guys their "free" gear. I'm pretty sure that well has gone dry since then however.