I Forge Iron

Strap hinge mechanics

Ok so basic strap hinge mechanics question.

I am making strap hinges which attach to the door via a plate and pin.

Is the pin meant to rotate freely in the barrels on the plate as well as the barrel on the strap or is it better to have the pin snug in the plate barrels and just have the strap rotate on the pin?

I know with a pintle attachment the strap just rotates on the "pin" so it got me thinking about the how a hinge actually works.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Greetings DK,

It just does not matter..   A little lubrication and it will find its own way..  Most of the wear on a hinge is on the web part that takes the weight.. On the bottom..

I guess if your hinge has three lugs on one end and two on the other it would be technically proper to lock the pin to the 2 lugs for more surface area support and wear factor..  As with all machines I always ask myself WHERE WILL BE THE WEAR..    I hope this helps..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Dk,

The weight of the door is transmitted to the web of the leaf and onto the corresponding barrel of the stationary mate. The weight is an up and down force. The pin really only aligns the two parts because there is little radial force involved. Think of the stationary side as the pintle, it carries the weight. Don't rivet the pin tight , keep it loose and put some oil to it, and it should work fine.

Peter

The weight of the door is transmitted to the web of the leaf and onto the corresponding barrel of the stationary mate. The weight is an up and down force. The pin really only aligns the two parts because there is little radial force involved.

I'm not 100% sure I agree with that statement. Weight applied at a distance on a cantilevered support is referred to as a Moment force in engineering and includes both a vertical load as well as a rotational load. Granted on a long door with two hinges ( or more) that rotational load is decreased by the distance between the two hinges as it acts like a diagonal support to absorb some of that rotational force.

If you have ever pulled the pins on a door with sloppy hinges you know it won't just sit there on it's own, but will immediately begin to tip as soon as you pop the 1st pin. There is some side force being applied to the pins because the door wants to rotate. The wider the "door", the more weight is applied at a distance and thus the more force the pins will have to take, especially if the distance between hinges is short, like on a large driveway gate.