I Forge Iron

repairing worn jaws

old rascal

The jaws on my vise are pretty worn and don't meet all the way across with dips. Has anyone tried running a carborundum saw blade between them to make them match? I was thinking of clamping the jaws apart with a gap just a bit thinner than the blade. Any thoughts?

Rascal 

The jaws should be parallel vertically only when they are open to the size recommended for that size of vise, not when closed. When closed just the tops of the jaws should touch. So say you work with 3/4" stock a lot - then when the vise is closed on that size stock - that's when the jaws should be vertically parallel so as they get a full grip on the surface of the stock. This dimension will vary depending on the size of your vise.

If you want to use modern fabrication methods to repair your vise jaws you would be better off filling in the gouges in the jaws and grinding it back to the original shape.  Your plan is unlikely to produce a clean even surface.  Remember to preheat because most vise jaws are high carbon steel and require extra care when welding.

Good Morning,

What kind of vice, Post Vice, Bench Vice, Add Vice????

If it is a post vice, one or both of the legs are bent/twisted. Leave the jaw alone, fix where it is bent. When the jaws are open the slop in the thread is magnified!!

Look at is closer, the problem is not the jaws.

Neil

As mentioned many post vise jaws have steel faces forge welded to them and build up may be more appropriate than removal---with appropriate preheat for welding on higher carbon steels.

Often vises get torqued from overtightening with a piece way out on one end of the jaws.  An easy way to prevent this is to make a graduated set of spacers for the other side.  Getting a short section of commonly used stock and sawing down the vertical axis and heating and folding the tabs out makes an easy spacer.  I stamp the size on top of the tabs and keep them in a coffee can near the vise.

I guess I didn't make my problem clear. The jaws are parallel when closed and looking down from above, but there are gaps between them. On parts the original cross hatching can be discerned, but other parts are worn badly. This is an old leg vise and I don't think that the jaws are high carbon, possibly wrought iron. I think one or two light passes would do the job.

Rascal

Funny, my wrought iron vise from *before* 1800 had steel faces forge welded on it's jaws---how much earlier is yours?

It has the tenon method of mounting and the screwbox was brazed together form a number of pieces as was typical of

old postvices rather than the recent ones made since the 1850's?

Many or most of the leg vises I've owned do not have hardened jaws.I do understand your issue and the repair I've done in the past is to take a couple of old files and weld them to the jaws. The heat from welding softens the file (less risk of chipping) and the teeth of the file create new cross hatching.When ground and sanded properly after a little use you'll be hard pressed to know they were ever replaced. 

Most vices I have fixed up did have high carbon steel jaw faces though they were not always that hard.  I suspect the many vices jaws get softened from being clamped tightly to hot steel over the years.  I have rehardned and toothed two vises so far in the forge it is a tough job to get everything lined up properly. Doc's idea is probably a bunch less work. 

post-2348-0-76041600-1383271852_thumb.jp

post-2348-0-59348200-1383271873_thumb.jp

post-2348-0-50907000-1383271892_thumb.jp