I Forge Iron

Crane frame for some friends

Black Frog

Borrowing Brian Brazeal's forged crane idea (thanks Brian!), I made this for some friends of mine.

They have done me plenty of favors in the past, and they also like cranes.

They have some wood carvings of cranes in their house, but nothing like this.

The frame is old wrought iron from a salvaged wagon wheel.

I ripped it to a 1" width on the bandsaw and really like how the outer radiused edge of the wheel makes outside of the frame.

I welded the frame on the backside, and then torched in a bit of bronze brazing rod in the corner seams on the front side to add a bit of color.

I hope they like it!

crane1.jpg

Greetings Vice Whisperer/Black Frog/Friend.

Super cool..  I like the brown cat tails..  Of course the crane is polished to a machine .00001. tolerance.   I am surprised that it does not have torch color. I am sure your friends will love it .. I do...   Is this  what you do in your off anvil hunt time ?   Keep up the great work..

Forge on and make MORE beautiful things

Jim

Thanks Jim!

I am surprised that it does not have torch color.

I actually tried that, and really liked the blues/ambers I got from flame coloring the polished steel.

But the more I thought about it, I liked the brighter wire brushed steel look in contrast with the darker frame and cattails.

There's a lot of empty space in the frame, sort of on purpose, and I thought the brighter steel makes the crane pop out from the frame a bit more.

I guess this might depend on the color of the wall it is hanging on too....

This is after a Ren Wax application, nice stuff!  Thanks for the the tip.  :)

• 2 weeks later...