I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing Vehicle

blackleafforge

What does everyone else have as a work vehicle? Im looking to buy something as my kit will no longer fit in my VW polo....

A car derived van is cheap and economical but i was worried about overloading it and getting bogged down when in fields / work sites etc. A bigger truck, something like a toyota hilux, would be more expensive, less economical as i drive a lot but could carry a heavier load, pull a trailer and get everywhere. 

thanks

I'm in the uk by the way

I work out of a midsize custom utility body  with a retractable roof for my contracting work. Plenty of space for tools and so on in the side boxes while leaving the bed space free for larger items or material. Only thing I don't have on the truck yet is a long materials rack for full lengths of steel.. I know a couple of farriers that work out of similar vans or small box trucks.

post-25608-0-58561800-1383055978_thumb.j

post-25608-0-51743500-1383055981_thumb.j

post-25608-0-59006800-1383055992_thumb.j

I started out with a 1985 3/4ton suburban diesel (about 20mpg) but my latest rig is a bit bigger.
01 Isuzu NPR 4500, (1 1/2 ton) $6000 + 2500 for repairs and modifications (bed and boxes).
Isuzu clames its a 500,000 mile chasie so at 290k I'm happy. 23 mpg (diesel) isn't bad.
The NPR also comes as a 3500 (1 ton) and newer models have bigger power plants as well as a slabs 4 doors (more $) and older ones have smaller power plants. Often old stream sweepers can be picked up cheep (sands the sweeper unit) but the parts for an I frame rebuild of the engine is $1000-1500. Yes it is a premium block like an over the road truck.
She isn't sexy but I have a 7' 3" by 12' bed, originally it had an 8' by 14' box. Either way it's a lot of work space. I shoe out of (off of?) her and still have a 10' bed with my equipment. I mounted the box on an old fith wheel frame. So not only do I have a large truck bed, I still have a mobile work shop if I so choose.
Fat chance, Linda took it over for her fabric and notions storage. Do you have any idea how much fabric and sewing stuff a seamstress and historical costume maker can collect?
Like everything in blacksmithing, learn to think out side the box.

post-4450-0-75346000-1383055000_thumb.jp

post-4450-0-81991000-1383055199_thumb.jp

post-4450-0-80636900-1383055900_thumb.jp

My wife is a spinster, "SpinOff" once had a quesdtionaire where one line was "How much fiber do you have on hand?---A a peck, B a bushel and a peck, C a million billion tons?"  I kept looking for D.....(She's off picking cotton this morning...)  I've always had a high fiber diet, mainly wool though...

The odd (and sometimes *very* *odd*) metal job for her spinning has usually not been a problem.

Cudgelling my brain for my high school german years later to try to explain niggling details to improve a person's plying at a craft fair in Germany hurt!   Funny that my german teacher never covered words like twist ratios, balanced yarns, counting as you treadle, etc.  Forced was I to apply an internal painkiller the German's are justly famous for, oft described as "Dunkle Doppelbock"

I have been able to duck the requests to build hatchels for hackling flax by finding antique ones in good condition at cheap prices

My wife has a friend with a museum piece walking wheel that needs a new real wrought iron spindle---the old one has worn down several inches in length.  This may go higher in the queue as they were astounded to see how  my wife was spinning on it at a museum demo recently and it may get a lot more use coming up.  She's been teaching spinning for over 40 years now and is getting known for her "strange spinning problem" solving.  I think the weirdest thing she has spun is artic fox under coat.

Wow, who'd have thought it? More than one "set" of smith/spinner and one a teacher pair to boot. :wub:

Would either of you care to post something on spinning? Not that others might wish of follow in your footsteps as it were but as an interesting indulgence. A while back someone posted a thread on broom-making and I have no interest in making broom-making yet I found it fascinating.

Ian

There are a number of  "Steel Wool" couples out there; I know 4 or 5 sets personally including one where the wife is the smith and her husband spins...

My wife specializes in the very fine and even spinning characteristic of earlier times---lumpy, slubby yarns are very much a modern thing and actually have their bassis in the same Arts & Crafts movement that gave us hammer dinged smithing projects..  However she teaches very hands on---in fact when I go to Quad-State she usually goes to the Yellow Springs "Wool Gathering" and often gets roped into teaching her rather well known plying class if she has let slip to the spinning guilds out there that she will be in the neighborhood...

When I was looking for a wife; I wanted one with a passion for a craft; so she would understand mine.  But I wanted for a different craft so there was never tool contention.  We've lasted 29 years so far.

Thommas, hats off to your wife. Linda spins lace weight yarn, of an "exeptable quality". If your wife is only twice as skilled and half as dedicated I'm impressed.
That said I have no doubt Linda would be at least as exited to sit beside your wife and spin as I would be to share a fire with you. Now if one could only find the time and money for such endevers.

One thing JoAnn has done is to spin with a chest mount magnifier so she can see the yarn being created---from across the room I can't see it!  As to dedicated; she spins in church, she spun while in labour, she's spun at Quad-State....

We used to get down near Altus as my Mother was born near Humphrey's gin. and we still transit OK on the way to the kids/grandkids in NW AR as well as a passle

of kinfolk around Fort Smith and Van Buren.  Perhaps some Quad-State?