I Forge Iron

Trees - How to?

OK - I have tried to search this out, so if its already been covered please just point me to it, but I am trying to find a method for forging a tree.I have seen forged trees, but just can't find any how to info.

I am thinking small scale, like 12" tall or less, and want it to be free standing to be used as a jewelry tree if desired. Ideally I think I want to do it from a single piece in as much as possible. I am ok with welding if thats called for, and assume some will be needed for smaller branches, forge welding is still a developing skill but can be attmepted. 

What I intend to attempt this weekend is starting with a 3/4" sq hot rolled bar, spliting it into 4ths at the bottom and separating and shaping into the roots/base. Then spliting into halfs and/or thirds from the top to start forming branches.

I also thought about taking taking 4 rods of 3/8 or similar, bundling and welding into a trunk and then forming roots and branches above and below.

Let me know if either of these seem logical or if I am way off base, or if there is a totaly different approach I sould take.

Get a piece of 1" steel cable. With arc welded weld length of trunk to look like bark unwind branches pulling away from trunk to look like a tree. Do the same and build up a mound an a piece of plate so it looks like it grew out.

Greetings Eddie,

If you ask 10 seasoned blacksmiths your going to get at least 20 answers....   Well here's one of mine.... 

Start with 3/4 round stock 10 inches long.....  Taper about 5 inches down to about 1/2 inch  ....   do a  4 way split on the bottom for the stand / roots...  They will be half round on the bottom and easy to form to look like the roots.. texture the trunk and a slight twist...   split the top half 4 way again and start to form the branches...  now you can form up and spread  the roots to taste.... Than the top branches..    By starting with round stock you cut out a lot of trying to round up square stock....  Drill some holes on the trunk and add some textured branches to taste...  If you get the sequence correct you wont have to fight the fire with branches sticking out...   Easy weld up on the additional branches...    I hope this helps      That's what I got for the first one...   Pictures when your done...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

If you ask 10 seasoned blacksmiths your going to get at least 20 answers....   Well here's one of mine.... 

What if you ask unseasoned blacksmiths? 

I've been meaning to do something like this, have given it a lot of thought and was planning on taking 5-6 pieces of 1/2" round, forge weld them  in the middle into a trunk, you want some meat here for the trunk, then spitting and drawing out the branches and roots as desired.  I was planning on using the branches/roots to hold a mirror, perhaps closer to 2D than 3D....

Greetings Bill,

That's a lot of welding...   When you are all done you still will end up with a 1inch plus trunk and bigger than you want branches and roots...  You will find just to blend in the welds on the trunk and texture it will be quite a job...  Than skinny down the roots and branches from 1/2 fill be fun too...    Oh well just another way of skinning the cat...

Jim

Here's a candleholder tree I made years ago. It sort of falls along the lines of twisting a bunch of pieces together that others have mentioned,  although I incorporated a lot of welding. I'm sure you could eliminate the welds by figuring out your roots, trunk, and branches and clumping the whole lot together- then twisting it to get them to lock together.

post-13847-0-24154500-1382818838_thumb.j

post-13847-0-59613600-1382818874_thumb.j

Kustomsteel, WOW! that is nice work!!

Although I didn't do as much on the root system as I would like due to customer constraints (OK its my MIL's) this is was my first attempt at a tree. It replaces the original birdbath pedestal. I started with 3" pipe at the base, split and filled in with scrap. The upper limbs are 1" pipe. Small branches forged 1/2" hot rolled. Texturing is a combination of weld dragging on branches and concrete stuco on the trunk. Acrylic paint for coloring. It was a learning experience; next one will be all steel.

IMAG0287.jpg

Greetings Eddie,

Start with 3/4 round stock 10 inches long.....  Taper about 5 inches down to about 1/2 inch  ....   do a  4 way split on the bottom for the stand / roots...  They will be half round on the bottom and easy to form to look like the roots.. texture the trunk and a slight twist...   split the top half 4 way again and start to form the branches...  now you can form up and spread  the roots to taste.... Than the top branches..    By starting with round stock you cut out a lot of trying to round up square stock....  Drill some holes on the trunk and add some textured branches to taste...  If you get the sequence correct you wont have to fight the fire with branches sticking out...   Easy weld up on the additional branches...    I hope this helps      That's what I got for the first one...   Pictures when your done...

Jim

This is very close to my original plan, I just opted to start with 3/4 square because it offered a little more material and lends itself to 4 way splits. Have been out and about all day, but should be able to give it ago before the weekend is over. Pics will be posted, good, bad or ugly : ) .

Just as an update, I attempted the 3/4 square stock tree first as I already had a piece cut to start with. I got a bit out of sequence and payed for it. I made the split for the roots first, separated and tapered them and was pretty saatisfied when I realized I didn't round the trunk first and now the flared out roots were in the way. So, I decided to bend them back down and out of the way to work on the trunk. Ended up letting one get a bit too cold and snapped it off.

Next attempt, I decided to go with 3/4 round as Jim suggested and tapered before splitting. I cut a suitable piece, tapered it down and now its time to split. This is when I realize I have never tried to split round stock and my hold fast just want work. So I decide to give it a go on my portaband which I have mounted to used as a stationary band saw. Terribly slow going for some reason, I'm assuming because I had quenched it. So, my next step will be to either anneal and go back to the saw, and/or make a new hold fast, something I should probably do any way.

Since the trees weren't panning out and the forge was hot I decided to do something productive and made a hardy out of an axle, a first attempt for me, and am fairly happy with the results.

post-37148-0-49947800-1382896262_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

The saga continues : ). Since I promised pics I thought I'd provide an update.

I built a better holdfast for round stock, or at least a good prototype, maybe I'll post pics of that later. Well I started splitting down the 3/4 round and made some progress, but kind of got stalled out again. I think I'll like this approach, but have not quite got the sequence right yet.... so

today I decided to try bundling smaller round stock and forge welding a trunk leaving the bottom and top free for roots and limbs. I'm still developing my forge welding voodoo so opted to give it a go with simple bundle of four 15" long pieces of 1/4" round. This was an exercise in forge welding as much as anything, and I was at least partly successful.

Here's a pic of my most recent effort, not the finished product I am shooting for yet, but I am at least closer to my target.

post-37148-0-02169400-1384113564_thumb.j