I Forge Iron

Making a touchmark

I want to make a touchmark for my metalcasting endeavors. I have read several things including the blueprint here and at anvilfire. I have a few ideas of what I want for the design. I will be going to an iron pour where they let you make scratch blocks they will later pour into a 5x5 plate.

I was wondering if this cast iron plate could be used as the die for a punch heated to orange or red heat and driven into it to form the design. Once it is formed and hardened I could make a proper die with a steel plate.

I want a very small touchmark and I don't think I can get the detail I want trying to make a matrix punch.

I discussed a Mother/daughter type of touch mark with Jim Wilson and it can be done. He suggested the original (mother) being a good quality material and kept cool at all times. The duplicate (daughter) would be heated to to a temperature where it could be driven into the original and create the impression needed. Then heat treat and temper as needed for the steel and use at hand.

This way you could make a touchmark and if you used it enough to wear it out, you would still have the mother (original) to make another duplicate touchmark (daughter).

The concept is sound. And would save a lot of work should your original become lost or damaged.
Is there anywhere a comprehensive registry of touchmarks. I've seen the one across the street, but there has to be a larger list somewhere. I'd hate to duplicate anyone else's. Or is that not feasible with the number of smiths currently practicing? what about old touchmarks? or will that be relegated to the history books and you have to pick up one for each culture?

Thanks. The original die being cast iron I know is not good quality. But if it will make the first punch in steel, I can then make a proper die out of tool steel and should last forever. I just hope I don't break the cast iron die in 2 pieces even with the punch heated to yellow. Never hurts to try.

Using cast iron isn't going to give you particularly good results in the first place and it will have a pretty short lifespan in the second.

If you carve the master / mother die from steel it'll last you many times longer. Making a die also means you don't have to carve it in reverse.

Frosty

• 1 year later...

If your design isn't too difficult, it's not hard to make your own touchmark.

My last name is Hammer, and my initials are DJH. This is the touchmark I made and use (not a great picture, but it works perfectly... high relief).... I used a commercial chisel for the tool, ground the hammer shape with a zip disk and used reverse letter stamps to put my initials in the hammer.

10488.attach

I replied in another Touchmark post but not here. Go figure. S'funny already more than a year ago.

IWtrademark-vi.jpg

here is my "Die" and the resulting punch. I used an inferior die material, and I don't actually have a forge. I was out of acetylene and used my Reil burner in open air. I didn't really get above a pale orange.

I punched the design in the angle with a chisel and welded the tube around it to help keep the punch straight. The first one I tried had an upsetting effect and more or less folded over. I did whack the spit out of it though. IW is for Ironwood Workshop. I fancy myself a woodworker and metal fabricator. One day when I am better prepared I will attempt again. In the meantime a small chisel will make the mark. It is rather simple. I think its in the shop somewhere.

10519.attach

If your design isn't too difficult, it's not hard to make your own touchmark.

My last name is Hammer, and my initials are DJH. This is the touchmark I made and use (not a great picture, but it works perfectly... high relief).... I used a commercial chisel for the tool, ground the hammer shape with a zip disk and used reverse letter stamps to put my initials in the hammer.

DJ that's a real nice job.
I didn't know you could get reverse letter punches.

Sam