I Forge Iron

Progress on my Project (LG 50 pounder)

I have been going back and forth how to get my Little giant upright after transporting it to my shop. I finally caved and asked a co-worker for help. Took us about 2 minutes to have it up and unhooked, amazing what 100 HP can do :)

IMG_0473.jpg

Now I can give it a bath, good oil up and some dies

IMG_0474.jpg

On a side note, I need demensions on sow block and dies if anyone has one they could measure for me.

Thanks for the tips guys, I will give LG a call. I was hesitant to just ask for demensions without purchasing anything. I have plate gathered for sow, 4140 for die material, hoped to give it a go myself to keep the costs lower.

The pipes under his hammer are rollers so he can move it to it's destination.

I wish I'd had a backhoe to move mine, we loaded it on the trailer with a loader. when I got it home I slid it back off my trailer till it got to the tipping point and then ran a come along to the building's roof arch and used a line to the trailer as a break to keep it from coming vertical too quickly. Then I used short lengths of 1/2" round as rollers to fine tune the position I wish I'd used longer rollers.

Remember to sweep the floor first!

That's a nice looking hammer, looks just like mine. Don't worry about asking questions of the LG guys, they're in it to preserve them more than making a buck. Good folk, I sent in the Ser. # on mine to get a little history and they sent me the LG manuals for it gratis. And I'd just bought the Power hammer book. Get a copy, it's really REALLY handy to have on hand.

There're pics of the brake I put on mine somewhere on IFI if you're curious. I DO recommend a brake, it makes the hammer so much more versatile.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah I figured they were for moving it, I was just wondering what sizes would work best. PVC will break most likely, those look to be maybe two inch OD black pipe?

I think if I had three of them about 30" long each that might be enough.

On a perfectly smooth surface a roller is a roller. 1/8 inch as good as 3 inch. As the surface gets rougher (or dirtier - sweep up ahead), the roller should be bigger. 1" nominal as a minimum should be fine on concrete. maybe 2" on packed dirt. Mine was moved with motor attached and was top heavy. I used 1 inch as I recall, but had ropes from the top to prevent it tipping.

Update:

Hammer is saftley in garage, rolled in with bar no problems. The pipes pictured are indeed around 2" od. I chose this size so that once rolled up to my garage I could use smaller pipes on the floor and transtition over the lip between the garage floor and drive way. Worked great.