I Forge Iron

Chisel shapes?

Greetings Kilroy,

There is no such thing as a complete set...  Been doing this for many many years and you will find that it is a continues and ongoing build...  I have posted a picture of a start of a small set that I use in one of my shops. The dull colored ones are S7 and the others are hot H13 .. I hope this gives you a start on shapes..  Another good reference is e bay where they offer sets... 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim          

post-30666-0-60997000-1381034026_thumb.j

Say Jim, aren't those mostly chasing tools? Some darned nice looking ones for sure. Have you posted any pics of chased work? If not how come?

Yeah, the bevel on a cold chisel is less acute than a hot chisel. I couldn't tell you what the bevel angles are, I'd have to go find my pocket reference and I don't want to walk up stairs. Just buy a cold chisel and copy the angles and general profile. Or maybe ask the guys at the hardware store near you, they usually have give away data sheets so folk can get the angles right on drill bits, chisels, lathe cutters, etc. They wont have a hot chisel on the list so just make it a lot thinner and more acute. Trial and error will let you tune it to a good working tool, the old school blacksmiths didn't have manuals till recently.

Hot chisels look more like a screw driver for the face profile angles, the bevels are acute, say 15* or less maybe. Don't quote me on that, I'm eyeballing one I just happen to have at hand.

The principle between the two and their differences is pretty straight forward. A cold chisel has to be pretty strong to survive being driven into cold steel. A hot chisel is cutting soft steel so the thinner it is the less resistance it encounters.

Whatever you do, do NOT put a concave face or bevel on them! Concave means the chisel has to push steel out of the way along the entire depth of the cut. If you use a convex face and bevel the steel is parted from the chisel almost immediately and minimizes contact and friction so it's easier to drive and puts less wear on the tool.

Frosty The Lucky.

I find that I use slitting chisels a lot---made from H-13.  Without knowing what you plan to do it's hard to guess what a *useful* set of chisels for you would look like---animal head carving chisels? Large curved chisels for doing massive ornamental strap hinges?  Slitter/drift combo's for interlace work?

Shoot I've been smithing over 30 years and I don't have a "complete set"---yesterday I was working on a new project and got to thinking that I' needed to forge some chisels specific for it ifn I was going to be doing more like it...

Greetings Killroy/Frosty,

Pictured below is about 20 % of the chisels that I own..  I suggest you start a project and make the required tools for that job..  You never know what shape you will need so build an inventory as you go...   A close up of just a few....

For Frosty...   My last commission ...   A split surround for a large support that holds up the main structure of a large log home on a river in Michigan.  They had sagging problems and had to cut the support and add jacks.. UGLY...  Hence the split cover for the jacks...  The owner is an avid fisherman and requested a trout...  Repousse and chase as per you request..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

post-30666-0-56451900-1381092476_thumb.j

post-30666-0-13121500-1381092615_thumb.j

post-30666-0-80022800-1381092688_thumb.j

Here is a good starting point. Your shapes and size will fit the job. It just depends what you want to make.  I have a picture of an old set and I will try to find it I did a handout for the class on chisel making that has the different styles from that photo

http://www.mettleworks.com/sales/renzetti-tools/Renzeti-tools.html