I Forge Iron

L brand forge coke

I tried a bag this summer from profarriersupply (L brand refered me to them as they are their supplier in Canada) I like it. Hot, no smoke, no smell and low clinker for this bag. The size was from 0 to 1". That was the first time I used it and I was surprised with it. I can't say if their coke is consistent in quality and size though.

That is what I am using right now. I bought 1000lbs from a friend here is GA. 

Burns fine and hot. Seems like I have a hotter fire with it than straight coal. About 1" cross section.  It can definitely give off smoke when first lit. And after 6 or 8 hours forging 1.5" square in a pot about 11" by 13" 4" I will have filled the bottom of the pot with clinker. 

I do not like it as much as some Pocahontas coal that I have used in the past. But it is what is local to me and I am happy enough to continue using it.

It's very good coke - burns hot and clean with little clinker. The only problem I've experienced is that it always seems to contain enough moisture out of the bag that it pops quite a bit if added directly on top of a fire. To combat that, I either leave it in an open bucket for a few weeks to dry out or just add in from the side of the fire so the water can evaporate before the pieces become "popcorn".

Never had a problem forge welding with it - good stuff all around...

good stuff. been using about 8 yrs. when it arrives, remove the plastic wrap, keep the bags on the pallet, off  bare ground and there won't be a moisture problem. Make sure you have a low setting on your blower/use an air gate or you will be relighting it if you take a break in forging.

I usually have some to sell at SOFA.

• 4 weeks later...

I have done several burns with the coke and it does burn hot with minimal smoke/fireflies and smell.

I wish it were a bit larger as I like 1.5" lumps.

I end up screening much of the bag to get a few handfuls of the larger for my uses.

If anyone knows of a larger sized coke I am interested.

Ric

• 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...

Welcome aboard jguy, glad to have you. Posting the same question in multiple threads doesn't improve your chances of a response, most of us have new posts set to notify us, Sooooo you have two notice email in my inbox. No more repeats please, it's a hassle and bandwidth for me and puts you on the moderator's radar.

I did a web search and coal is available in Conyers at "Sidney Lee Welding Supply" on Sigman Rd. NE. Give them a call, they should know who carries coke where. Talk to the receptionist on the TELEPHONE, be polite and don't take up a bunch of her time with a story. Asking questions on a website is a good way to be set on "ignore" if you are't looking for at least a truck load. 

Call around and ask, the above welding supply isn't the only listing. You might call a local farrier and ask where he gets his coal and or coke. Even if s/he doesn't use a solid fuel forge s/he will know who carries coke or who uses it and give you a name and number.  

The internet USED to be faster and better than the telephone and yellow pages until marketers got their hooks set. Now the phone is back on top. Get an old school paper phone book at the local telephone office, the online version sucks as badly as anything online now days. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Hmmmm, sure looks that way. Maybe the close by supplier that carried L Brand Coke shut down, rather than the manufacturer? L Brand was probably buried in one of the top 25 lists of suppliers and I passed it on by.

Frosty The Lucky.