I Forge Iron

Starting Blacksmithing

I have recently wondered how to get into the field of working in metallurgy and smithing. I live in Pennsylvania and its hard to find anything like that. I know you have to train and practice with someone who is a smith, but there is isn't many around. I heard of colleges who offer degrees in that, what are you opinions on taking college classes on smithing?, and is there is any that offer and actual degree in Pennsylvania? Thank you

There are *TONS* of blacksmiths in the Pennsylvania region; perhaps if you could narrow that down a bit  we can suggest a local group to start attending meetings and getting to know the local smiths.

And if you are near the western end it would REALLY be worth your while to see about attending Quad-State in Troy OH in a couple of weeks---I attend from New Mexico about 3000 mile round trip whenever I can!  You can camp onsite to hold costs down and perhaps you could carpool to hold travel expenses down.

Check out  Pa Artist Blacksmith Assoc- www.pabasite.org. Good group of guys, next meeting is the 1st sat in Oct up is Stroudsburg. Also look up Stuarthtesmith on this site- he's in the area. Lotsa folk not too far from you. Make some contacts, meet some people and start hitting hot metal.

Steve

Bryn Athyn College in Bucks runs a 4 day blacksmithing class in the summer. They also offer a regular class during the semester I believe, but the college program isn't about blacksmithing. I've taken the summer class the last two years they have offered it. Depending on where you are in the city, I'd say you were about 30 minutes to an hour away most likely.

http://www.brynathyn.edu/academics/sacredarts

I think Peters Valley up in the Delaware Water Gap offers classes for credit thru Kutztown University.

Tons of options, really. the third ward(philly) offers a basic blacksmithing/bottle opener class, and I myself can think of a passel of professional smiths that sure don't mind answering questions, myself included. Kindly PM me or email, if you want any kind of info. I also know of reasonably priced shop space for rent if you so require.  Take care, Matt 

New Jersey Blacksmith's Association (NJBA) usually meets in Howell Tnsp, NJ, about a 90 minute drive from Phili.  They have an open forge most Mondays for members.  They occassionally meet at locations around the state.  You have lots of options to consider.  Just have to do a few miles to get to the different functions.